Sign in to follow this  
azbow

Old Outdoorlife magazines

1927-1980's not every issue but there are not a lot missing. Very interesting to read these and see how hunting and fishing was back then. The ads are very entertaining also, guns selling new for less than $20. These cover Jack O'Connor's era with his great hunts and knowledge. They are in pretty good shape but not perfect. Some of the covers have come off but are still there. They are in 7 boxes so I prefer to have them picked up at my house north of Tucson. I do get to Phx almost weekly but would take some negotiating to hall 7 boxes. $600post-239-0-54179700-1499976490_thumb.jpgpost-239-0-43106900-1499976517_thumb.jpgpost-239-0-95999400-1499976536_thumb.jpgpost-239-0-12556500-1499976564_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Wow! very cool to have these… How idd you come by them, grandfather or estate sale? I remember reading my dads Field and Stream as a kid 45 years ago. Totally different mags now,... boner pill ads and other stuff I didn't want my daughter to see when she started hunting 13 years ago. Cancelled my subscription.

A friend's uncle died and was quite a hunter. Nobody else in the family was and I was asked if I wanted any of his mounts. While looking around at the mounts, I saw these magazines stacked in a small closet like he put them there each month after reading them. Didn't take any of the mounts but got all of the mags, probably saving them from taking them to the dump. That was about 1975. The ones that are newer than that were my Dads. I used to pull a stack out to read but Havn't done that for a while. Might start doing that again, much more interesting than today's mags and brings back memories of when hunting was a Dad and Son or a couple of buddies adventure.

Yeah, the old mags used to actually have articles and stories, now they seem to be merely a delivery devise for advertising. I have let all my subscriptions expire, I used to get around 6 hunting/fishing mags per month. I'm sure they take up a ton of space, but they would sure be neat to have. Good luck on the sale.

Thankyou,

I was reading a story in a 1930 mag about a group of hunters going to Kaibab from Phx. They went over the newly completed bridge at Marble Canyon. The road up there was pretty rough and wasn't even a hiway yet but later became 89. They had to camp in designated campsites with other hunters and most had guides. They could each shoot a buck and Doe. They passed on big bucks and shot small meat bucks.

That article by Jack O "why you shoot your uncle" looks intriguing. Could you copy and paste for a teaser, and to show the whippersnappers what a great writer and rifleman he was. ^_^

No room for them but I wish I had a few weekends just to sit and read them.

I have also cancelled all my subscriptions. The new magazines look great and are quality made but the stories all seem to be the same. Too many ads.

good luck with the sale.