Sign in to follow this  
Rag Horn

Can a bobber be put on upside down?

Backstory:

This last weekend during a fishing expedition to the raging waters of Nelson Reservoir I rigged my kids poles up with a treble hook, worm and a generic bobber 6-8 inches up the line from the baited treble hook. After about 20-30 minutes of not catching any fish my dad asks me why I put on all my kids bobbers on upside down. This then turned into an ongoing debate between me and my dad about putting bobbers on upside down or not. I believe there isn’t a top or bottom. My dad says the “chimney” part should be floating out of the water and that the chimney is the top of the bobber.

Question:

I am now turning to the wisdom of the internet to hopefully close the door on this debate. Can a bobber be put on upside down? For anyone that says that these bobbers are directional and should be put on a certain way I ask this question; Why, what does it matter if the chimney is up or down? I feel it functions exactly the same way either way it is put. Below is a sample picture of the style of bobber in question.

Side note:

As it turns out we were not catching any fish because we were using bobbers, upside down or not. Once we swapped out the bobbers for split shot weights we found the honey hole and were pulling out "monster" bluegill faster than we could keep worms on hooks.

post-4328-0-67448500-1500151212.png

post-4328-0-15991600-1500151235_thumb.png

• Like 3

Awesome 👏 job on taking the kids out. I was there a week ago and did pretty good 😊. My boys caught one snake and one bluegill. I put the bobber on with chimney up, easier to rig it up. Lot of good fishing in Nelsons this year! I busted out the flyrod and caught 3 really fast. Everyone around us were a little frustrated because they weren't catching nothing.

post-2686-0-96653500-1500152382_thumb.jpg

post-2686-0-67203200-1500152444_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice, and yes white side up, every time I have red side up it fills with water. some bobbers the top will only flot upwards.

• Like 1

LMAO!!!!! Awesome post. Functionality wise does not matter obviously. Hahahaha. There are bobbers that are only one color with the same attachment device on both sides. There are bobbers that have weight built in on one side and I would say those you should obviously put the weight on the hook side. Sooooo many options besides the old red and whites 🤔 I'd like to hear his philosophy on the clear slip bobber that you can fill with water 👀 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

This post is hilarious.

Honestly, as someone who grew up bait fishing in western Michigan with a cane pole (in the '70s), I thought the "chimney up" method was the only way to do it. (After all, the "chimney" is what you pushed on with your thumb to get the opposite side to extend to put the line through.)

But after seeing this I ran out in the garage, found an old bobber, and son of a biscuit, one can attach bobbers chimney down.

As my mom used to say "Learn something new every day." Mind blown. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

Clear bubbles are great for adding extra weight for casting purposes to use with wet flies or spinners

• Like 2

This post is hilarious.

Honestly, as someone who grew up bait fishing in western Michigan with a cane pole (in the '70s), I thought the "chimney up" method was the only way to do it. (After all, the "chimney" is what you pushed on with your thumb to get the opposite side to extend to put the line through.)

But after seeing this I ran out in the garage, found an old bobber, and son of a biscuit, one can attach bobbers chimney down.

As my mom used to say "Learn something new every day." Mind blown. Thanks for posting.

I remember as a kid fishing the only pond around down in southern New Mexico......Larue's pond, which doubled as the local swimming hole!!! Had bass, blue gil and catfish in it. For the lack of bobbers I cut my own out of a stick, wrapped it with line and tied it off for my bobber.....good times!!!

And yes to the clear bubbles for dragging flies......great for top fishing and long casting!!

Since that is solved, which is the right way to install a roll of toilet paper? So it rolled off the top or hangs off the bottom? Lol!