Sign in to follow this  
reece_mess16

12B West (early)

Woke up this morning prepared to see a coues tag in the draw but found out I'd pulled my first choice 12BW. I'm very excited as I've been waiting years to hunt up there! I'm not looking for secret spots and will be scouting very soon, but I was just wondering what the hunt is like and should I expect a monster, or should I be happy with a 160s buck? Thanks all!

Congrats on a nice hunt. I am hoping that in the next couple years I can get I can get a hunt up that way. It has been a long time since I went deer hunting.

Congrats on the tag, it will be a fun hunt with a lot of deer! I think a 140-150 four point would be a shooter for most with this tag, unless things have changed since I was last up there. Overall it's a good hunt with high success rates, but finding a big buck on the early hunt is very very tough in this unit. Hope you have a good hunt, and if you can let us know how it goes!

I had the same tag a couple years ago. We were in deer constantly and both shot nice bucks. We hunted the edges of the burn mostly. Along with about 1/2 the rest of the tags in the unit. You will have a great time.

My brother in law drew the 12b west late tag with 4 bonus points

• Like 1

Fun hunt. Good bucks are in there and occasionally a brute will show up on the early hunt. I've hunted the hunt a bunch and will again this year as my wife drew again. Two common ways to hunt it, hunt the pushes on the buckskins for migratory deer from Utah and from the bab, or resident deer down on the flats in the western half. If there is an early snowfall the unit can really load up with deer. With the hunt being a week later than usual it should be pretty good. Unless you are hunting a bigger deer you know about or going to go big or go home empty then I would shoot the first 150-160 you see. Just my .02

If you can't hunt the whole season then I would hunt the later part vs the early part. Lots of shooting the first wknd so there are less people the later the hunt goes and with it being a migratory herd there isn't a risk of a bunch of bucks being shot out. There is constant movement into the unit. Good luck and have fun!

I had the same tag a couple years ago. We were in deer constantly and both shot nice bucks. We hunted the edges of the burn mostly. Along with about 1/2 the rest of the tags in the unit. You will have a great time.

Where is the burn in 12B West?

Fun hunt. Good bucks are in there and occasionally a brute will show up on the early hunt. I've hunted the hunt a bunch and will again this year as my wife drew again. Two common ways to hunt it, hunt the pushes on the buckskins for migratory deer from Utah and from the bab, or resident deer down on the flats in the western half. If there is an early snowfall the unit can really load up with deer. With the hunt being a week later than usual it should be pretty good. Unless you are hunting a bigger deer you know about or going to go big or go home empty then I would shoot the first 150-160 you see. Just my .02

If you can't hunt the whole season then I would hunt the later part vs the early part. Lots of shooting the first wknd so there are less people the later the hunt goes and with it being a migratory herd there isn't a risk of a bunch of bucks being shot out. There is constant movement into the unit. Good luck and have fun!

Are you talking about the flats on the west side that are next to the buckskins?

Are you talking about the flats on the west side that are next to the buckskins?

2mfj29s.jpg

Where is the burn in 12B West?

nm me... i found it

My next question is; Can I justify honestly to my wife picking up a set of 15x56s for this hunt or are my 10x50s good enough?

Do whatever you got to do to get 15s. If not for this hunt then they will come in handy on the next...

My next question is; Can I justify honestly to my wife picking up a set of 15x56s for this hunt or are my 10x50s good enough?

you could rent 15's from Ross Outdoors if the Boss says no on the purchase. Spotter too.

• Like 1

you could rent 15's from Ross Outdoors if the Boss says no on the purchase. Spotter too.

This.