Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

What to do with 5BP's

For whatever reason I can't seem to get drawn for a deer tag anymore, and have racked up 5BP's. .

If you had 5BP's what would you do, and what kind of hunt should I realistically hold out for? I think trying to get drawn for 13's is probably a stretch, but what about other area's. What is something that is a prime hunt I might have a decent shot at with 5 BP's?

I am now to the point I am going to hold out for a good hunt, and not waste my BP's on a normal hunt.

I like coues hunting, but I think I am really more interested in a hunt with a good shot to bag a big muley if possible.

Harley

Well I went into last years draw with 5 and didn't draw squat. So unfortunately I am no help.

You're probably close to an early kaibab tag or 3a/3c i would think. Maybe even something like 17 or 20c december. All mid-tier hunts i would say with a good shot at getting a nice 4-point

Bonus points are a trap. Everyone has that mindset once they get a couple points that they don't want to waste them on a "lower quality" hunt. With 5 bonus points you are more than a decade away from a guaranteed tag on a strip or late kaibab hunt. Life is to short, burn the points and hunt every year.

• Like 6

You're probably close to an early kaibab tag or 3a/3c i would think. Maybe even something like 17 or 20c december. All mid-tier hunts i would say with a good shot at getting a nice 4-point

3a3c bonus pass is like 8 or 9. Early kaibab is more. I think all the December Muley hunts are in the range of 9+.

You are sort of in no mans land. December coues hunts typically start at about 6 points for the bonus pass.

Unfortunately 5 points is nothing these days. With loyalty and hunter ed you can get to 5 points in 3 years after you draw. Any decent tag is taking 8+ and the strip and kaibab is gonna be pushing 20 points for a guarantee here soon. Always that chance to get lucky but expect to wait a few more years for anything real good.

I'm up to 14. But I'm only putting in for 13B...so it's my own fault! :)

I'm up to 9 and have only put in for 13b archery the last 2 years. I am in no mans land also. I have at least 4 more years before I can expect an archery strip tag.

At some point you need to decide how long you want to wait. You are at least 2 maybe 3 years away from a decent tag like a late Coues or 3a3c etc.. and quite a bit more for Kiabab and Strip. I hunt every year in Mx and Archery and trying to do UT, or CO so I have decided I want to wait. It really sucks though.

I'm up to 13 and done playing the point game waiting for a 13B or 13A tag. Next year I'm putting in for a tag that I have max points for. I'm missing hunts with my son and son in law waiting for some tagbthat likely won't come. I'm looking forward to it.

I have time before I get anxious about getting on a hunt with my kids. They are only 5 & 2 otherwise I might be more apt to burn the points.

The other reason I am willing to wait is my normal hunt unit of 20A just went up in smoke, and 85% of the terrain I hunted and knew well was in the burn zone.

I am probably going to try and grab a left over tag this year to get out and hunt, but those are even hard to get now.

I got a few archery bucks and ended up building up 4 points without trying, then didn't want to "settle" for an October tag. 8 points now, and all I want to do is hunt! Thank goodness for archery.

Any hunt can be drawn with 1 BP if you get the luck of the draw. And yet, some go 18-25 years to get in a bonus pass situation before they draw (my luck). You just never know. I have talked to quite a few people in the field that drew a 12A tag, antelope, good unit elk tags, December Coues, all with 1 BP.

I have a buddy who drew 12AW late this year with 7BPs. I thought for sure it would have been the 12AW late tag that was his second choice.

Taylor drew 12AE late hunt last year with 1 BP. And 12AE early the year before with 3 BPs.

I put in for 20c Dec with 7pts and didn't get drawn. 3c has 4k applicants for 100 tags