Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

What to do with 5BP's

3A/3C looks like it had some upwards creep this year and took 9 points to draw it in the max (even though I know a 12 year old that drew it with 2 points for his second time in three years). You could draw most any October Coues hunt with 5 points. Those can be great hunts where the deer haven't yet seen a ton of pressure.

IMO the December hunts aren't all they are cracked up to be. They have gotten the name "rut hunt" but more realistically, they should be called a "pre-rut hunt" as most years you aren't likely to begin seeing much, if any, rutting activity start until the final days of the hunt. The biggest advantage of these hunts is you usually get an extended hunting period of 2-3 weeks. This year they ended up being much shorter than usual. You also get to hunt in nice cool weather.

• Like 2

3A/3C looks like it had some upwards creep this year and took 9 points to draw it in the max (even though I know a 12 year old that drew it with 2 points for his second time in three years). You could draw most any October Coues hunt with 5 points. Those can be great hunts where the deer haven't yet seen a ton of pressure.

IMO the December hunts aren't all they are cracked up to be. They have gotten the name "rut hunt" but more realistically, they should be called a "pre-rut hunt" as most years you aren't likely to begin seeing much, if any, rutting activity start until the final days of the hunt. The biggest advantage of these hunts is you usually get an extended hunting period of 2-3 weeks. This year they ended up being much shorter than usual. You also get to hunt in nice cool weather.

even archery 3c went up. My brother with 5 points didn't draw. My brother drew 3c with 5.

My son drew 20C late with 3 points

I think 6 was guaranteed for archery 3c pretty tough and not worth 6 IMO

has there even been 1 good buck killed on that hunt since it came about? like 170+ or even a 150

Early kaibab was 6 points last year

Point creep. My dad and I got the last 2 tags in the bonus round(99 and 100) with 7 points this year for the 12AW October hunt. Saw on here someone with 7 didn't draw it. Last year all 7's drew it.

My oldest son drew the late 17B tag this year with his hunters ed and a loyalty point, his mom is on the verge of kicking his a$$ she has put in for that tag only, for 6 years now and nothing. It's all in the luck!

I drew 13 B with 7 points in 2015....I always put my first choice as a long shot. Then apply for units that have plenty of permits for my 2nd and 3rd choice. I rather hunt every year with a chance to kill a decent buck rather than wait a decade to possibly eat the tag.

Ok well since 80% of tags go to random applicants, of course you can draw any tag with any amount of points.

The OP asked about what he could get with his points. If the question what does 5 PT's get you, the answer is not a lot that 3 doesn't get you.

has there even been 1 good buck killed on that hunt since it came about? like 170+ or even a 150

I've seen some in the 70s and maybe low 80s and a few cool character bucks, but overall it is tough for me to justify 5 or 6 points on this hunt. Most of the pictures you will see are 150" bucks that are photogenic and look bigger..rifle especially.