Sign in to follow this  
Tight Guy

Unit #9 Rifle Tag

Just another of those "Where are all the Big Deer in this unit question". I have hunted this unit for Elk and Antelope, but never Deer. my Question is this, If it is cold and the water is frozen in the tanks in the higher elevation timber by the Grand Canyon National Park during the Deer season, which way do the deer migrate in general?? Do they winter in the Pinon flats on the west side, head over to the Upper basin, or tend to go more straight south to over by Red Butte?

Not looking for anybody's "Honey Hole" just a general rule of thumb. Thanks in advance

Unit is pretty flat. Not much migration from my experience. Deer can be found throughout the unit any time of year. Red butte/ Skinner ridge area hold the highest densities from my experience but can be a real zoo with other hunters. If you are holding out for a bruiser buck I would recommend hunting the feeder canyons into cataract canyon on the west side. Methodically work each little finger and I would almost garentee you'll find a good buck. Some guys are hard core and will get on the 10 side of cataract, glass a buck, and drive 60 miles around back to 9 and try and relocate the buck, or vice versa, depending if they have a 9 or 10 tag.

• Like 1

Biggest muley shed I ever found was in the country nateNAU is describing by Cataract. Went 101 1/8 - and was broken, could have had a lot more than he did. Course, that was a hundred years ago. A lot of that country is flat/rolling with little draws that you can't see from anywhere. Bucks get in there and are hard to turn up.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.I had heard that the Catarack Creek finger ridges was a good spot and It sounds like my type of hunting, spot and stalk. Not into road hunting with the rest of the crowd. Thanks again