Mr. Natural

Coues population in 37B?

I have seen and killed some nice muleys in 37B, but have yet to run across any whitetails. I drew the early general season this year, and it is an "any antlered" hunt. G&F site says there are some whitetails in the unit. I am not looking for any specific information, but really just wanting to know if it is or is not worth my time trying to locate some.

Has anyone had any recent (last couple years) experience hunting whitetails in 37B, or had any recent sightings? Is there enough of a population to make a 37B Coues hunt interesting?

Thanks

Yeah, for sure. Gonzalez pass and the country near superior has sustained populations. I would imagine black mountain does as well.

• Like 1

^^. I've seen em alive and dead around gonzales pass right off the 60

• Like 1

^^ Yup...all around Picket Post and south into the higher elevations. I've also seen them in the flat/rolling hills near Oracle...Black Hills, I think it's called, but limited numbers. You probably don't want to be too picky about size.

Ah, ok...that (Gonzales/Picketpost area) is one area I have not ever scouted. That will give me something to do this fall since I only drew the one tag. Although if I don't turn up any nice Coues bucks I will probably just stick to muleys since I already know there are some bruisers running around the unit.

Thanks guys!

I saw a very nice Coues buck that had been spooked by some other javelina hunters in the low rolling hills north of the intersection of Barkerville Rd. and the road that forks to the NE from E. Freeman Rd (near the ranch, possibly the 96 Ranch), and west of the big north-south trending dry wash (it wasn't dry at the time!). By the time we got to Hayden everything was snow-covered and it was still coming down. Seems like this was in early February. Actually, closer to mid-Feb. as the receipt for my javey at Livingston's Lockers in Tempe is dated 2/24/69.

Oh sorry, you wanted recent sightings, my bad!

forepaw

^^ Yup...all around Picket Post and south into the higher elevations. I've also seen them in the flat/rolling hills near Oracle...Black Hills, I think it's called, but limited numbers. You probably don't want to be too picky about size.

I lived in superior for 4 years. Viper nailed it. They're there in some pockets, but it's not a primo coues unit.

If you get out enough you will be surprised on where you can find them in unit 37b.

This^. I have seen them in all parts of the unit, even in the gila river a few different times. Obviously some parts have more than others but they're there.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll be looking for an area where I can glass whitetails up consistently, otherwise I'll just stick to muley hunting. Of course if I was to have a chance encounter with a nice Coues buck while muley hunting, I certainly would not pass it up!

• Like 1

I have spent lots of time in 37B and seen Coues in Gonzales pass, Picketpost mountain, Black Mtn. and the mountains running along 177 from Superior to Hayden. Basically there are scattered groups in the higher elevations but most of the deer you will encounter are muleys. 37B is an any antlered hunt you are not going to pass up a nice muley are you? Got the same tag, maybe we will cross paths on the hunt.

I have seen quite a few couse and muleys in the hills around the old Tiger Mine Road off HWY77 between Oracle and San Manuel.