105Coues

Strelok Ballistic app powder temp comp?

Has anyone done any tests on whether this option should be enabled in the app? I noticed enabling it changed my 1000 dope by 1 moa.

A lot of the powders now are temp stable. I did have one load, .25-06AI using RL22 which is known for a 1fps per 1° of temperature swing from your normal sight in temps.

I used a 1fps in that category, and it compensated and I made 1st round hits out to 900+ in all kinds of conditions and temperature ranges. From 110° to 4°. Shooter was spot on.

Saying the Applied Ballistics app is "much more accurate" totally depends on the inputs you provide. Garbage in, garbage out. Precise in, precise out. I think a 1st round hit on a 12" steel at 600, 880, 1000, 1332, and 1771 yards proves Shooter is plenty accurate if you input correct information. I would think almost any app is better than most shooters can hold for.

• Like 2

Has anyone done any tests on whether this option should be enabled in the app? I noticed enabling it changed my 1000 dope by 1 moa.

That one MOA change is not a constant, at a higher or lower temperature the change would be smaller or larger. In a ballistics program you assign a base velocity to a load at a given temperature. If you have chronographed the load at high and low temperatures you can calculate the velocity change per degree. If you enter this figure into the powder temperature compensation and turn it on the software can now adjust your trajectory for temperature related velocity changes.
  • Like 1

Shooter and AB is the same family and they both work. AB just has some added features.

Exbal, BulletFlight, atrag, and JBM also work.

Strelok had incorrect ballistics when we tested it a few years ago. No garbage in, but some garbage out. Had 6 ballistic programs running and Strelok was the only one that gave incorrect solutions. 5 of us double checked everything. So we emailed the developer. Response was something about real world ballistics don't match programs all the time and we continue to work on improved solutions. Good and bad answer I guess. Just didn't agreee with other software that worked really well in real world testing.

I would recommend getting the Applied Ballistics app. Much more accurate.

Applied Ballistics is good, but On Point Ballistics is better :)

The only drawback is that its only on Android, not ios.

Shooter and AB is the same family and they both work. AB just has some added features.

Exbal, BulletFlight, atrag, and JBM also work.

Strelok had incorrect ballistics when we tested it a few years ago. No garbage in, but some garbage out. Had 6 ballistic programs running and Strelok was the only one that gave incorrect solutions. 5 of us double checked everything. So we emailed the developer. Response was something about real world ballistics don't match programs all the time and we continue to work on improved solutions. Good and bad answer I guess. Just didn't agreee with other software that worked really well in real world testing.

How long ago did you run your comparison? I am new to this whole app ballistic thing and have Strelok at this time. This SUN it just gave me dead center hit at 800 yards, have also been comparing it to my printed JBM drop chart. Maybe I am lucky maybe they updated Strelok? Any thoughts?