Sign in to follow this  
Coues Archer

Best Frame Pack For A Backpack Mule deer hunt

Horn hunter is a great pack for price. I have the Horn Hunter pack frame only. It has hydration capability, two wing pockets, and pockets on belt. It is pretty comfortable and great for the money.... not the best but good! I am a budget hunter and can just use compression bags to load onto frame. Like everyone else said Stone Glacier.... Kifaru...... expensive but I hear they are very very good.

I have the Outdoorsman and once adjusted properly is the best fitting pack i have had yet. A good fitting pack makes all the difference in the world. They need to make a womans version for the wifes who pack as much crap as we do..

Kifaru if you don't mind the price.

Mystery Ranch are nice too.

I bit the bullet on a Kifaru this year. Hopefully I'll get it out soon. Really nice pack, hand made in the USA.

I do a lot of backpacking for mule deer........and own A LOT of different packs (internal and external). I've finally settled on the Kuiu pack due to it's lightweight and ability to comfortably carry an entire boned out deer and antlers/cape.

• Like 1

Hey BOHNTR how do you like these packs?? Honestly the KUIU Pro 5200 caught my attention the most out of all these packs! How did KUIU packs work for you? I also love that they are extremely lightweight and from the looks of it, have an extremely durable design.

• Like 1

Also thank you all for the helpful advice! I am still contemplating on getting a kifaru but I just don't know if it's worth that much money??? Is it really THAT much better than all other packs?

• Like 1

I have the older Outdoorsman pack. I've packed out 50 - 60 lbs with it. Great pack. Very adjustable. But it's 7+ lbs and I have trouble keeping it on my narrow hips. Maybe if I tried their lumbar attachment it would be better. Also it feels kind of big on a skinny guy.

I went to the Kuiu 3200 last year. Love this pack! I packed out 85 lbs over very rough country and rode great. No soreness the next day. I smile each time I put it on. I also got the 5200 bag for backpacking but haven't used it yet. I did an overnighter with the 3200 and it was pretty stuffed full.

I've also used the Kelty Cache Hauler frame. Very good support, and comfortable, but I find the solid aluminum frames to restrictive...like your back is in a splint. The flexible carbon composite frames are the way to go.

I have no experience with the expensive packs mentioned above, but I think the best bang for your buck is Kuiu...barely edging out Outdoorsman

Hey BOHNTR how do you like these packs?? Honestly the KUIU Pro 5200 caught my attention the most out of all these packs! How did KUIU packs work for you? I also love that they are extremely lightweight and from the looks of it, have an extremely durable design.

I have three Kuiu packs right now. For my body-frame, I backpack with my older Icon Pro 6000. It's very lightweight and extremely durable. Also, once I pack everything in and make camp, the pack cinches down flat and I use it as a day pack due to it's lightweight design. When I arrow something, there's no need to hike back to camp to retrieve my day pack.......I simply de-bone the deer on the spot and pack it out.

I've finessed (trimmed) my pack-in weight (trail) down to about 57 pounds for a 7-10 day backpack hunt. It's a dream at that weight. I've also packed packed a few deer(s), with their cape and antlers, (about 90 pounds total) with no issues. It was heavy for me, but nothing the pack couldn't handle. It also distributed the weight very well. Again, this is for my body-frame......it could be different for you. But my Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Eberlestock, Gregory, and Kelty packs seem to gather dust any more.

• Like 2

Exo mountain gear makes a phenomenal backpack with a frame and suspension system that carries weight very well. I use the 3500 and got 9 days out of it last year on my CO elk hunt. They also make a 5500.

Is the Kifaru worth the money, is it THAT much better than the other packs? I would say yes, with the caveat being that it would depend on the application of whether it is worth it. Kifaru and Mystery Ranch are top knotch, Exo supposedly is as well though I don't have first hand experience with one. Those packs are unbelievably durable and will stand the test of time with heavy loads.

I'll say this: if this was a question in the elk hunting forum I would strongly recommend one of those top three. If you see yourself backpack elk hunting or packing out elk consistently over long distances and tough terrain I would spend the money on one of those 3. They all hold their value incredibly well, also. I'm not sure of your intended uses over the long run, but if it doesn't involve tons of heavy weight packing then perhaps a Kuiu would be more appropriate. I've put on a couple and they would likely suit you for a mule deer hunting pack.

BOHNTR thanks for the advice! If you don't mind just out of curiosity what is your weight and height??

5'11" tall.....about 165 lbs.

I have owned or atleast tried every major brand. I settled on kifaru. I'm very happy.

26inch bikini frame with a nomad and woodsman long hunter lid and a grab it. It's very light empty and carries weight very well.