Sign in to follow this  
sundance

New Guy looking for Insight

Hello everyone, Matt here from Washington state and I wanted to take the time to introduce myself. Figured I’d post this in the coues and mulie section since that’s why I’m here. I’m an avid bowhunter for deer and elk in the Pacific Northwest and now looking at starting to apply for permits in AZ in 2018. Specifically, I’m interested in archery-only permit hunts for the 12A and 13A/13B units and archery-only non-permit hunts for coues deer. Not looking for spots or secrets, just people willing to help me navigate the regulations, permit application process and general area information. I know from past experiences that a conversation over a cup of coffee can cut years off the learning curve while not divulging spots that takes a guy 10+ years to aquire. Thanks in advance for any insight that is offered, even if it’s poking fun at the guy with moss behind his ears. About me, I cut my teeth hunting Columbian Blacktails and Roosevelt Elk on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington. We can hunt OTC every year for bulls and bucks with some regulations. Over the past few years I have started hunting Oregon and Alaska as well, and Sitka Blacktails is another passion of mine. I’m hunting in Washington, Alaska and possibly Oregon this year for black bear, elk and deer. If you are interested in hunting the PNW let me know, I like to share general intel to folks interested in getting after Blacktails and Roosevelts since they are not a common animal for most hunters to pursue. Best of luck to everyone this year, I am starting to do research and develop a plan for 2018-2020 hunting a new area. I like antler as much as the next guy, but an awesome experience in a new area is more valuable to me then a P&Y entry. I do have experience back county hunting, I have a lot of gear and am pretty self-sufficient. Thanks again and I look forward to following along here and learning from the members.

• Like 1

Hey Matt!

Welcome to the site! As you can probably tell, you will find LOTS of experience, information, and opinions here. ;) I'm sure you'll get several responses, but the process is really pretty easy. I would download the 2017 regulations and start studying them a bit to get familiar with the units, dates, species info, etc. (sounds like you might have already done that). Once you decide what unit, it will be just a matter of submitting the application next spring. Easy to do on-line. Send me a message here if you would like, and I would be happy to get on the phone with you to talk about the process and coach you a bit.

Regarding which unit to choose, there are of course MANY options. You mentioned 12A archery, and that is of course a great hunt. Draw odds aren't too tough, though admittedly I am not sure of the non-resident quota, odds, etc.

Call or text if you would like to chat further (602-399-4769). Lots of guys here know a lot more than I do, but I'll share some of my experience.

Welcome again!

S.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site. Great introduction by the way. Can't help you in 12A & 13A/13B units but there are plenty guys here that are very knowledgeable on those units. I'm sure there are a few who will jump at the opportunity to your offer of showing interest in hunting the PNW. Good luck when you finally apply for the Az units. :)

TJ

Thanks fellas! Of coarse I have always heard about the famed 13A and 13B, I'm probably not going to wait around 20 years to draw. The 12A archery hunt looks like a good shot at drawing within a few years as a non-resident, so this really has my interest. I have downloaded the regs and read through them a few times, pretty straight forward. The only hang up I'm having is understanding the draw "rounds" and choice options. From what I can tell there are strategies to applying for certain hunts given the choice or round option. I fully understand if people don't want to disclose this info on the open forum and prefer PM. Basically it looks like I can take a hail Mary at 13A and 13B while also applying for 12A which is a more reasonable bet, I just don't understand what order I should apply and what the cons/pros are to this ordering.

I have seen an outfitter, I think its ASG, offer a membership fee annually for a guided hunt when you draw. I'm not big on using guides, but if I drew a miracle tag I'd want to do it justice. Otherwise I have no issue eating a tag on a DIY hunt if the experience is worth it, which I have no doubt hunting in these areas would be a lifetime experience.

I'm just here to learn info, follow along and hopefully meet some good people that could throw me a bone if I got lucky. And I'd love to share info on PNW hunting to those that are interested, Roosevelt elk and blacktails are a sickness that I refuse to get vaccinated for, much to the disappointment of my wife. First pic is a good WA Columbian Blacktail I took with my bow in 2012, second is a bomber Sitka Blacktail I took on Kodiak, AK in 2013 with a rifle, missed him with my bow 3 days earlier.

post-15762-0-22664900-1501518068_thumb.jpg

post-15762-0-75129500-1501518078_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I noticed you mentioned archery coues as well. You can get archery coues tags OTC and hunt in Aug, Dec, and Jan while you wait to draw a muley tag down the line.

That's my plan for the OTC late archery tags. I will start applying for those premiere unit hunts, and if not drawn alternate between AK and AZ. Basically if not drawn I'd hunt AK one year OTC, then AZ the next year OTC in December for Coues deer. If I drew I would head down for as much time as possible and hunt the permit hunt, looks like they generally run mid/late August through early September. for those units with the archery tag. Then I'd head home for Archery elk in WA and OR.

Here is a goofy Columbian Blacktail I took in 2013 on a permit rut hunt in Washington. He didn't score well but the trashy bases and double eye guard/2nd main beam was too much too pass. Stuck him at 20 yards with my bow while he was chasing does and rutting hard.

post-15762-0-34419700-1501523277_thumb.jpg

• Like 2