Sign in to follow this  
archeryaz

December 29 Tag

Hello everyone,

I have been fortunate enough to draw a late December 29 tag. I am not looking for anyone's spot, I plan on doing my own scouting. I was just wondering if there was anyone whom would be willing to share some insight about the unit. I have never been in this unit and applied for it, on a friends recommendation. I have read the Arizona Game and Fish description of the unit, but was looking for some first hand knowledge of the unit, and caliber of buck I might encounter. Any pics of some deer that were taken in this area. Thanks for any input.

I love unit 29 and have the early hunt there. There are lots of hunters but plenty of area to get away from most of them if you can hike. There are some great bucks killed there every year just depends how picky and lucky you are. I usually hunt on the west side but the whole unit is good. Here is my early season buck from last year. Good luck to you.

Keven

post-616-0-46395700-1501634130_thumb.png

• Like 2

Keven,

That is a great buck, congratulations. Thanks for the help. I'm very excited to get out and see what the unit has to offer. I am still very new to hunting Couse, I have only been able to harvest one so far, but am hoping to continue with another one this year. Good luck to you on your hunt this year.

Okay, with only one reply, I'm guessing I either have the worst unit in the state for a good Coues buck, or maybe.........

<----- This Buck was taken out of 29 back in 2000. I haven't hunted there in years and only during the archery season when I did, so I'm not much help. There are some nice Deer in the unit but lots of private property in the prime hunting areas. I spent most of my time on the east side of the mountain, the west side also has good hunting but seemed to be more people. Not sure but I suspect there are limited tags in December so hunting pressure may not be an issue that time of year. Weather will probably play a huge factor in your hunt so plan accordingly.

Here's a unit 29 buck.

Can't help where to hunt but the whole place has nice bucks.

Just need to find them before someone else does.

post-12139-0-57472600-1501943735_thumb.png

Hunted this last year and took a decent buck. Just get elevated and you'll see some bucks no matter when you go in the unit. Also, I glassed my buck up at 2:00 in the afternoon on the early hunt. You never know what can happen... Good luck and post a pic of your monster!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread. I have e-mailed the Arizona Game and Fish Department Officer for the unit. He was also able to provide the type of information I had been looking for. I'm extremely excited, and can not wait to get to the unit. Good luck to all with their hunts this year.

Try to find areas where you can get in behind private. Game Planner maps did a unit 29 map for a buddy of mine. The maps is really nice.