Sign in to follow this  
Red Sparky

Oh No!

43 days to my archery elk hunt and this happens. I guess I should be happy it was not closer to season but will be fun sighting in my broad heads. At work today my hand got slammed in a wrought iron gate and broke my trigger finger on the bone where a ring would sit ( between hand knuckle and middle knuckle). Black and blue and swollen four times normal. I can't bend it so will see how long it takes to be able to move it. The other great news I got is the new, one and only Cabelas for NM, is having it's grand opening when I am gone. I guess I will have to kill an elk to make up for it. :)

Oh man that sucks, I would make work pay for 24 / 7 rehab just to be sure. Worst case give that trigger the middle finger.

• Like 2

Ouch. I would try some different releases and see if you could find one that feels good pulling with the next finger. You may need to modify the trigger on a release to make it work well. Do whatever it takes elk tags are important.

I guess you can always hunt with a crossbow?

I had an archery antelope hunt in 5B 8 or 9 years ago and there was a guy hunting, or should I say shooting multiple antelope, with a crossbow. When I talked to him in the field why he was using a crossbow he showed me a little white medical tape on his pinky finger and said he was disabled. I can't remember exactly but I know 7 was the number. I don't know if he shot 6 and killed the 7th or shot 7 and killed the 8th. I reported it to G&F & they contacted me a few weeks later and said he was legit. The time I saw him shoot one it was 90 plus yard shot and ran off wounded.

Seriously,

I hope you heal up real quick and this is a non-issue come hunting season.

My buddies son had a elk tag his senior year and just before the hunt he broke his upper arm in football and was in a full arm cast, needless to say they were still going hunting so they came up with tieing mule tape to a release around his elbow and rigging the release, in the end they came home with a nice trophy bull and a can do attitude

My buddies son had a elk tag his senior year and just before the hunt he broke his upper arm in football and was in a full arm cast, needless to say they were still going hunting so they came up with tieing mule tape to a release around his elbow and rigging the release, in the end they came home with a nice trophy bull and a can do attitude

• Like 2

It might be worth trying to turn the release upside down and trigger it with your thumb.

They make other type releases that will work be careful though because they are touchy

I shoot my Scott Shark like a back tension anyhow. The problem I should overcome in a few days or weeks is bending it around the trigger. Waiting to see the colors tomorrow.

post-13142-0-68724500-1501732046_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-90910400-1501732066_thumb.jpg

Rub some dirt on it

I keep dipping it into the copenhagen can and then beer and it is doing much better. I don't want to ruin my dip or beer with dirt.

• Like 1