Sign in to follow this  
Lv2hnt

Camouflage Hunting Clothing Donation Drive!!!

Hey All:

Hunts for Heroes, along with Healy Arms, will be holding a hunting clothing drive next weekend at Healy Arms in Tempe!

Most of you probably are not aware that 50% of the disabled Arizona vets that Hunts for Heroes takes out hunting (via Az. G&F's tag transfer program) have never hunted big game before. That said, many of these vets are just not adequately prepared when it comes to appropriate clothing and gear needed for their outings.

So Arizona Elk Society's Hunts for Heroes program hatched the idea of a "Camo Closet," where we could gather up new and lightly used camouflage and cold weather clothing that hunters and outdoorsmen/women might have at home that is not getting used. We'd be looking for camouflage clothing, of course, but also boots (insulated or not), gloves, knit hats, plus cold weather clothing that could be worn under leafy wear/ghilly suits.

So ... I approached Mark Healy about the possibility of his allowing us to hold a hunting clothing drive based out of his store. Mark replied with an immediate thumbs up! Thank you, Mark!!!

And here we are ---

Who: Hunts for Heroes and Healy Arms

What: "Camo Closet" hunting clothing drive > new and lightly used camouflage clothing, boots & access. (packs, knives, optics, game bags, etc. - just not junk) and COLD WEATHER clothing, insulated boots, insulated gloves/knit caps (cold weather stuff doesn't have to be camo).

< NOTE: We'll even accept camping gear in great shape, but let's arrange a time other than next weekend to get that to us >

When: Saturday, Aug. 26 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Mark has okayed Friday Aug. 25 drop-off for those who can't make it Saturday)

Where: Healy Arms / 1809 E. Baseline Rd., Tempe, Az. 85283 (SE corner McClintock/Baseline, 1/2 mile south of Superstition Fwy)

Why: These items will be loaned out to H4H vets who are not sufficiently prepared for the hunts they'll be going on.

I realize there are those of you who live a ways from Tempe (Tucson, Flagstaff, White Mtns, etc). CWTers in those areas might consolidate your efforts there and then arrange to get your donations to us later. Please contact me --- it'd be great to work with you on that!

I'll be outside Healy Arms on Saturday, Aug. 26, with our purple Hunts for Heroes pop-up canopy. Store opens at 10 a.m., but I'll be there at 9:30. While you're there, it would be a great time to step inside and check out Mark's store --- not only is Healy Arms a Hunts for Heroes supporter, they're a CWT sponsor and one of the best places in the Valley to shop for your firearms needs! (Again, you may also drop off your items on Friday if you can't make it there Saturday)

Thanks, everybody -- we'll see you next weekend!

Tom

Cell: (480)760-3868

• Like 3

If you are in the Queen Creek/San Tan Valley area and can't make it to Healy's, you are welcome to drop your stuff off to me and I will take it to Tom. Just shoot me a PM.

TTT

Great time and reason to go through the closet and find that stuff that's still in good shape, but maybe doesn't fit, or maybe you just needed an excuse to try that new pattern or brand you've been eyeing up.

• Like 1

This was pretty cool - just after I first posted this online Friday morning, I received a phone call from a woman in San Diego. She had just Googled "camouflage clothing donation" and my name and phone # was the first thing that popped up. We talked and she's shipping several kitchen bags full of her husband's camo to us! He's lost quite a bit of weight --- she said 1/2 of them still have the original tags still on them. Way to get things rolling!

CMTers, every little bit helps --- all sizes new or gently used camo's, boots, gloves, hats, cold weather clothing, gear. Guaranteed to go to vets, NOT volunteers!

• Like 2