Elkhunter1

Aug. hunt, How are you pursuing the grey ghost?

My newest weapon in my hunting arsenal and some of the targets!

post-5396-0-64814700-1503208013.jpg

post-5396-0-49144100-1503208036_thumb.jpg

post-5396-0-54420500-1503208056_thumb.jpg

post-5396-0-66876800-1503208217_thumb.jpg

post-5396-0-62167700-1503208267_thumb.jpg

post-5396-0-11464500-1503208292_thumb.jpg

post-5396-0-38723300-1503208326_thumb.jpg

post-5396-0-10894600-1503208356_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Treestands. We have a couple decent ones poking around....

attachicon.gifIMG_0640.JPG

Nice! Too bad I don't have as many Pine trees to put stands in. I am making some climbing sticks for myself! I do have a couple mountain ranges close enough to place them once i get a spot established!

post-5396-0-81696900-1503210189_thumb.jpg

No coues in my elk unit so I'm gonna be chasing mule deer. Maybe December coues if no luck in the early season..

• Like 1

Treestands. We have a couple decent ones poking around....attachicon.gifIMG_0640.JPG

Nice! Too bad I don't have as many Pine trees to put stands in. I am making some climbing sticks for myself! I do have a couple mountain ranges close enough to place them once i get a spot established!

attachicon.gif20689818_872723269560371_2102819789408962041_o.jpg

My hunting partner and I were out a couple months ago poking around in our winter area looking for shed and setting up some cameras and I got to looking at a couple of big junipers in a couple spots I usually hunt off the ground. The dang things are big enough to put a fixed position stand in. You can only get 5-8 feet off the ground but there is plenty of cover to conceal you and enough branches you don't even need a ladder. I'm gonna give it a try this January.

Treestands. We have a couple decent ones poking around....attachicon.gifIMG_0640.JPG

attachicon.gif20689818_872723269560371_2102819789408962041_o.jpg

My hunting partner and I were out a couple months ago poking around in our winter area looking for shed and setting up some cameras and I got to looking at a couple of big junipers in a couple spots I usually hunt off the ground. The dang things are big enough to put a fixed position stand in. You can only get 5-8 feet off the ground but there is plenty of cover to conceal you and enough branches you don't even need a ladder. I'm gonna give it a try this January.

Sounds like a good plan, I have done that on a Elk hunt years ago. I was about 10" up.

It's amazing how just getting a little ways off the ground totally changes your perspective and more than doubles the amount of ground you can cover with the bow.

We're going to have a good august, but I keep finding myself already daydreaming about January! I have two hunts between now and then.... just love that time of year I guess.

• Like 1

Hunting this august to scout out a new area. Hopefully be able to find a tree to hang a stand in for December, But maybe lucky enough on the ground that I won't have to.

I have a blind that is seriously brushed in and been in place for about three weeks already. It's on a trail intersect and I have it set up so the shot i'll take will be super close or no shot. It's my first deer hunt from a blind so my expectations aren't super high. I am hoping other hunters get'm stirred up and drive them my way.

I have a blind that is seriously brushed in and been in place for about three weeks already. It's on a trail intersect and I have it set up so the shot i'll take will be super close or no shot. It's my first deer hunt from a blind so my expectations aren't super high. I am hoping other hunters get'm stirred up and drive them my way.

Just keep in mind when blind/treestand hunting it's not at all uncommon to have a really slow day or two. You have to give a spot at least 3 full days. Minimum. Something with antlers will amble by. Longest I've had to sit before killing something is four days so far. I know some people that have gone longer, but they were waiting for something special and kept letting little ones walk.

• Like 1

Just keep in mind when blind/treestand hunting it's not at all uncommon to have a really slow day or two. You have to give a spot at least 3 full days. Minimum. Something with antlers will amble by. Longest I've had to sit before killing something is four days so far. I know some people that have gone longer, but they were waiting for something special and kept letting little ones walk.

I'm gonna try really hard to take your advice. I brushed in the same grounder 250 this morning. But I've never hunted from a blind. But I think I've got a good spot scouted so I'm hoping that helps to motivate me to say put and not fall back into my spot and stalk ways....at least the first 4 days lol

I'm gonna try really hard to take your advice. I brushed in the same grounder 250 this morning. But I've never hunted from a blind. But I think I've got a good spot scouted so I'm hoping that helps to motivate me to say put and not fall back into my spot and stalk ways....at least the first 4 days lol

The buck I shot in Dec. came in around 2:30 pm so sitting all day will be benificial. I know many friends and family have killed mid day.

Guest oneshot

Not really a fan of deer hunting while they are velvet, they are still growing and I feel like I'm cheating them out of being all they can be.

But I'll be out after Bears for a few days, and the guy I'm helping will shoot a Coues if he comes by ground brush blinds I've had in place for a few years...

Good Luck...

Sitting in the trees... The big boy i missed twice opening morning last year has shown up again. Game on.

• Like 1