Sign in to follow this  
MrBojangles

help with Google Earth scouting december mule deer

Hey everyone I thought i would introduce myself as I've been a longtime lurker on here but just booked my flight to come out for OTC december muleys and im super excited. My name is Glen and I live in hawaii spending most of my time spot n stalk bowhunting axis deer. Since I got into hunting about 5 years ago, Ive always dreamed of western hunting but as a elementary special ed teacher taking time off during the fall doesn't work so well with my students' needs. I was ecstatic to found out about this hunt though as it lines up perfect with my winter break over christmas so I won't miss any school time. Im taking the leap before my wife and i start settling down with kids in the next couple years just booked my flight and am really getting serious about identifying areas to hunt and google earth scouting for my first western hunt.

I plan on hunting either 18s and 15s as I'll be driving down with a friend after flying into the bay area on 12/22. hopefully the deer will be rutting in that part of the state during that time and I'm assuming I'll want to find does to find a buck. Trying to identify habitat/feed ideal for does is the next part. So far what I've been doing is marking all water sources on google earth from various topo maps and raa 2.0 maps and then referring to onx maps to find out what is still BLM and legal area to hunt. Finding areas with water has narrowed it down a little bit for me. My question is with regards to these NW AZ mule deer identifying feed/bedding areas, is the thicker the country the better? I'll see pockets of more greener stuff, (some on north facing slopes )on google earth that piques my interest as it looks ideal for bedding but Im not sure. i will also see pockets of pine trees, should this be a red flag? I also see some mountains ranges and not sure if i should be planning on glassing up the mountains or getting higher and glassing below the mountains in the flats and washes surrounding them. I'm also not sure about if the deer would prefer canyons and draws or more open flats. Also is there a predominant wind in that part of the state around Kingman that I can plan on approaching areas from or do I just hunt the thermals? the low densities and low success rates are for sure intimidating and its really difficult to plan from 2500 miles away but I think I'm off to a good start. If you could answer those questions Id really appreciate it hopefully I'm on the right track. Best of luck to you this season and thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Welcome to the sight. You hunt axis in Hawaii? I thought there were only pigs there?

Best advice I can give is glass glass glass. I don't know muleys to well.

• Like 1

Look for areas where habitat transitions from one type to another; ie PJ to desert scrub , oak woodland to PJ. Transition areas usually provide more diversity in forage, bonus if there's water in the area. Do yourself a favor look at the game planner maps map viewer. All the unit boundaries, land ownership, roads, water, and even vegetation is available. They can print you a map for whatever areas you decide to hunt.

• Like 1

CatfishKev, on 20 Aug 2017 - 03:34 AM, said:

Welcome to the sight. You hunt axis in Hawaii? I thought there were only pigs there?

Best advice I can give is glass glass glass. I don't know muleys to well.

Yes we have axis deer on Lanai Maui and Molokai that we can hunt year-round with no bag limits. It's a lot of fun. There's no predators so the population is unchecked. Kauai even has blacktail deer but they are like ghosts. Most island have pigs and goats and some have black sheep and mouflon

chuckster, on 20 Aug 2017 - 06:52 AM, said:

Look for areas where habitat transitions from one type to another; ie PJ to desert scrub , oak woodland to PJ. Transition areas usually provide more diversity in forage, bonus if there's water in the area. Do yourself a favor look at the game planner maps map viewer. All the unit boundaries, land ownership, roads, water, and even vegetation is available. They can print you a map for whatever areas you decide to hunt.

Great point about transition areas and diverse forage thx!

From what I've seen, the largest mulies stick to the flats. Plenty of thick cover, food, and easy escape. Mule deer are very dependent on water and will usually not venture more than 1.5 miles from an established water source throughout the year. Try to find an area that is away from the roads, that is locked in by water sources on at least 2 sides. If you can find a water source that cattle do not have access to, you're in good shape. Remember you're not looking for bucks in December, you're looking for does because the bucks will be in tow. Pay attention to solar/lunar movement times, they are usually right. Don't get discouraged, during the rut things can go from 0-100 in an instant! You never know when that 180 4x4 is gonna pop out. Best of luck!

• Like 3

You will be pretty disappointed with deer numbers in the 15s. 18a can be really good just a lot of private land issues. 18b, 10 or 17a would be a better bet for numbers of deer.

Predominate wind in AZ is from the southwest. Unless it is really dry, which it can be, water isn't a huge factor.

Wow had no idea there was so much to hunt there. No interest on going after coues? They are addictive little buggers.

You say "hunt out west"

Wouldn't that be "east" for you??

Lol

lol yes that would be correct

Wow had no idea there was so much to hunt there. No interest on going after coues? They are addictive little buggers.

yea we are pretty spoiled here not a lot of people realize the hunting opportunities we have here in hawaii. i hadnt really considered cous as that seems like a whole other level of hunting esp with a bow. mule deer seems like it might be more doable but I know it will still take a lot of luck and planning.

Pay attention to solar/lunar movement times, they are usually right.

can you explain this in a little more depth? I've never really paid attn to lunar phase bc i usually just hunt when i can, but if i remember correctly the brighter the moon the less daytime movement? also i should look for more spring typw water sources than ponds? they just dont like the company/competition?

Pay attention to solar/lunar movement times, they are usually right.

can you explain this in a little more depth? I've never really paid attn to lunar phase bc i usually just hunt when i can, but if i remember correctly the brighter the moon the less daytime movement? also i should look for more spring typw water sources than ponds? they just dont like the company/competition?
Ok it sounds wild, but it's been proven true to me many times. Basically, the gravitational pull of the moon affects all living things on earth. Based on the phase of the moon, when it is overhead, and when it is underfoot, you can construct an accurate prediction of when animals will be moving. Every day has 2 major periods that usually last 1-1.5 hours when the moon is both directly overhead and directly underfoot. Every day also has 2 minor periods that are based upon when the major periods occur, and are shorter in duration. When the moon is either full, or 0% illuminated, things change and there are 1-4 major periods in a day, but they are longer and usually more intense. I know it sounds crazy but I've tested it in person, with trail cameras, for fishing, and it has always been accurate. I use the website "solunarforecast". Just type in the zip code for a given area and it will show you all the times forever based on the moon data. Hopefully it helps you out, it has helped me!

As far as water goes, from my experience placing trail cameras in areas that have multiple water sources, but one where cattle cannot access, the deer will always go there. Cattle and deer are both ungulates, and they compete almost directly for resources. Naturally deer will go where the resources are not depleted by cattle. Wether it be a spring, trough, catchment or puddle.

• Like 2

^mind blowing stuff! :blink:

It's definitely pretty out there! I stumbled upon it years ago while playing with a rhino gps on a deer hunt, go figure. Almost every animal I've taken since has been during one of the movement periods, and every single trail cam picture I have is during one. Science is wild!