Sign in to follow this  
azruger

2017 DOVE!!!

I received a call from my wife a few minutes ago. She informed me the garage really stinks! I immediately suspected the problem. When I got home and opened the garage I could tell my suspicion was correct. Upon inspection of my bird vest I found a Eurasian that didn't get removed. Yuk!!!!!

I wish I could say this was the first time this has happened, but it's not!

my vest was in the truck (back seat) smelt it the day before but thought it was some Mexican I didn't finish from the day before (I eat lunch in my truck too) wife smelt it and made me clean all my hunting crap out of the back seat. dang dove was growing maggots!!! I threw the vest away and now keep the truck clean! Emberssing moment for sure.
  • Like 2

Lance he told me he had driven all the way to Estrella that morning and when he came to the dairy he went up and asked for permission to hunt there. He was polite but apprehensive at the same time. Proud of you that you helped him out.

Adam, maybe you remember my post from last year that I posted my house/bedroom was getting a bit rank. Turned out that I also missed a dive in my vest, for about two weeks.

• Like 1

I used to have this 1984 Chevy truck. That year I shot a buck and had this cool idea to skin out the nut sack and tie it down over the transfer case knob. I left the hair on but scraped the skin down very thin. Then applied a liberal amount of salt. I stretched it over the knob and tied it in place to dry out. It just so happens it was also late dove season and one day I threw my game vest with dove in it behind the seat. I pulled it out when I got home and cleaned birds. Longer story short the smell of that drying nut sack got really bad over the next three weeks until I finally found out a bird fell out of the vest and proceeded to turn into a jellified biomass under the seat. After puking and clean out the nut sack turned out fine and lasted 10 years.

• Like 1

I received a call from my wife a few minutes ago. She informed me the garage really stinks! I immediately suspected the problem. When I got home and opened the garage I could tell my suspicion was correct. Upon inspection of my bird vest I found a Eurasian that didn't get removed. Yuk!!!!!

my vest was in the truck (back seat) smelt it the day before but thought it was some Mexican I didn't finish from the day before (I eat lunch in my truck too) wife smelt it and made me clean all my hunting crap out of the back seat. dang dove was growing maggots!!! I threw the vest away and now keep the truck clean! Emberssing moment for sure.

Zombie doves!!!!! Been there, done that!!! :blink: :wacko: :P :D

• Like 1

I had a guy come to my house last night to pick up some loads, and he asked me what died when he walked by my garbage can. I told him dove carcasses.

My wife is such an understanding and patient woman, a real saint.

• Like 2

I started putting the carcasses in a garbage bag and placing it the freezer until garbage day. This really helps with reducing the smell. My neighbors HATE dove season, but are very understanding and patient. My back yard is currently covered with feathers:)

• Like 4

You guys are nailing them!!!! I got my guys laid out for work and got to a spot that is heavy traffic with hunters on weekends but I believe is shouldn't be bad on a Wednesday morning. As I was driving out I notice Im not seeing doves flying around like I usually do. Get to the spot and maybe I see one bird in the distance and a few shots out in the distance. I take off to a dairy in Florence and I only see 1 dove. What the ???? I Go to 2 more dairy's and nothing!!! Did this opening weekend put a damper on everything?? I drive around on some good ground were Im seeing doves getting water. I get out and take a couple shots then the farmers runs over and tells me to leave. Man oh man Im done for today!! Empty handed never has that ever happen to me

You guys are nailing them!!!! I got my guys laid out for work and got to a spot that is heavy traffic with hunters on weekends but I believe is shouldn't be bad on a Wednesday morning. As I was driving out I notice Im not seeing doves flying around like I usually do. Get to the spot and maybe I see one bird in the distance and a few shots out in the distance. I take off to a dairy in Florence and I only see 1 dove. What the ???? I Go to 2 more dairy's and nothing!!! Did this opening weekend put a damper on everything?? I drive around on some good ground were Im seeing doves getting water. I get out and take a couple shots then the farmers runs over and tells me to leave. Man oh man Im done for today!! Empty handed never has that ever happen to me

I'm pretty sure Big Browns put the damper on them. Next year we need to take up a collection and send him to Vegas for the weekend opener.

• Like 2

Miss opening day of Dove season.......... NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next year I'm going for 101, but I will definitely have a paid dove cleaner waiting for my birds. I never want to clean that many birds again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next year I'm going for 101, but I will definitely have a paid dove cleaner waiting for my birds. I never want to clean that many birds again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was gone shooting the wrong Antelope buck remember :)

• Like 1

I second that!!!!

• Like 1

Hunting down in the Verde Valley this afternoon. Anyone else going to be down that way?

• Like 1

Hey Slack, any luck in Verde today. I live there and haven't seen too many birds around. Went down to the valley last weekend and did pretty well. Would like to find a spot closer to home though.

Hey Slack, any luck in Verde today. I live there and haven't seen too many birds around. Went down to the valley last weekend and did pretty well. Would like to find a spot closer to home though.

I scratched out 6 last night. Not a ton of birds flying, but saw a few big groups on my way out after sunset. Figures.