Sign in to follow this  
Coues Archer

Kifaru vs Stone Glacier packs... Which One??

Hello guys, not too long ago I posted a similar topic on this forum regarding which pack to get for my hunting needs. The problem back then was that I had done minimal research regarding each brand and such. Out of curiosity I just wanted to know what kind of packs a lot of you guys are running. Didn't really know what I needed until I wrote everything down. After MUCH research I have narrowed my choices to these two brands. The two packs I have narrowed down too are the:

1.) "Kifaru Reckoning/ Duplex Hunter Frame"

2.) "Stone Glacier Sky 5900/ XCurve frame"

Now I have done an immense amount of research regarding these two systems and there is little to no negative comments about both, they are pretty much top notch according to all owners feedback. I have also wrote down below what I absolutely need to have in my hunting pack. And I also have listed some other attributes that maybe SOME of you can relate too; height, weight and waist etc.. Below is what I have come up with. Please give credible feedback on what you are running and if you can give me any advice on these two systems. Any advice or experience is MUCH appreciated, Thank you!

Body dimmensions:

Height: 5' 7"

Weight: 155.. Medium build guy!

Waist: 32"

Pack Expectations:

Now I'm looking for a pack that is very modular! What I mean in that, is something that I can load up and pack into some rough country for up too 5 days. But once I'm at my desired location I can simply make camp and from camp; I can turn my pack into a bivy mode and do some day hunting with the same pack. Now I know many of you take two packs for this very purpose but I just don't see any point in that... I feel like its redundant and pretty stupid to add weight and space.. also really pricey$$$. Below are what I have cultivated in my research regarding these two systems.

Stone Glacier Pro's:

-Lightweight = 5.5 lbs.

-Good stitching

-Bag material is good for minimalist pack

-Bivy Mode compatible

-Water bladder compatible

-Meat Shelf = Awesome meatshelf! According to all users.

-Frame Versatility = of the new Xcurve is supposedly awesome! And very easy/fast to adjust to any person in seconds! Also does well with heavy loads!

-Frame = is pretty flexible and well ventilated as a day pack, also gives you the option to add or take out cushion in the lumbar pad! Honestly that's an awesome feature!

Kifaru pro's:

Extremely Durable

Somewhat lightweight = 6.5 lbs or so!

Excellent stitching

Strong bag material!

Bivy Mode compatible

Water Bladder Compatible

Pocket location is awesome!

Meat Shelf as well, but have heard many complaints about it... According to people, the meat shelf is not as well thought out as the Stone Glacier?? Maybe its just one of those biased remarks, idk??

Frame Versatility = Hunter Duplex Frame is awesome from what I hear! People say thecomfort of the frame is unlike any other! Extremely comfortable with heavy loads! But I hear tuning it in to can be troublesome due to having a TON of straps and connections going each and every way.

Frame = I hear that the frame for day hunting is not as good because its so stiff? They also say that the lumbar pad is really big and can get uncomfortable when day hunting?? maybe just a biased remark but who knows??

So as you can see the bags are really similar but what I'm looking for is the feedback on how the bags performed and personally fit you?? I hear that the SG is more fitting for people who are smaller to medium build and the kifaru are more suitable to medium to big/tall people. P.S. I don't how accurate this is? Just from what Ive seen on the comments on various forums. Hopefully I was able to paint a good enough picture to have you guys help me decide lol.. And in all honesty I feel like both packs would be awesome but I only want ONE! Thanks again.

I plan to get a Kifaru in the near future. I have been debating between the Reckoning and the Fulcrum. I am pretty sure I will end up with the Fulcrum over the Reckoning because:

• The way the center cinches down without compressing the side pockets make it great for converting to a day pack. To do this with the Reckoning would require buying additional spotting scope pockets.
  • The weight difference is only about a half a pound.

But I seem to change my mind daily, so who knows. Please let me know why you are leaning toward the Reckoning?

I will take a picture when I get home

That is the main reason I got rid of my EMR2 bag

Okay, I just watched the video again on the Kifaru website. I see what you are saying. Curse you! I thought I had finally made up my mind.

• Like 1

Dude reckoning is a bad butt pack!! Jordan budd did a great review on it

But yes, the strap is sown where the vertical strap goes down. That is what separates the middle from the sides

• Like 1

I'm on the stone glacier wagon. Only reason for me is weight. 1 lb is a lot in my book. I just came off the mountain and I was cursing every gram of weight all the way out.

• Like 1

I'm on the stone glacier wagon. Only reason for me is weight. 1 lb is a lot in my book. I just came off the mountain and I was cursing every gram of weight all the way out.

Hey MULEPACKHUNTER, do you currenlty own the Stone Glacier Xcurve frame?? If so how is it? Really comfortable?

Okay, I just watched the video again on the Kifaru website. I see what you are saying. Curse you! I thought I had finally made up my mind.

Still need a picture or did you see it good from the video?

No picture needed. But I do have another question for you. Have you looked at the Fulcrum? How do you think it compares to the Reckoning? Thanks

Do any of you guys own the current kifaru Hunter Duplex Frame? If so how is it??

Is the "Hunter Duplex Frame" you refer to the same one as the "Hunting Platform Frame" currently on their site?

I own the hunter frame. Its definately an upgrade from my older duplex frame. Plenty of padding and I love the big lumbar pad. All packs are generally pretty comfortable. It's when you throw a 100lbs on them that you see where good waist belts and functioning load lifters come into play. I chose kifaru over stone glacier because I know my kifaru won't fail. I'll take an extra weight penalty for a beefy frame and 500d material.

• Like 1

No picture needed. But I do have another question for you. Have you looked at the Fulcrum? How do you think it compares to the Reckoning? Thanks

For financial and marriage reasons I have avoided the kifaru website for a while. ill study up on it and see how I think it would compare

• Like 1