PatrickJr

First Archery OTC Desert Mule deer

On Sunday, I texted my buddy Steven and asked him if he wanted to go do some scouting for my upcoming coues deer hunt. He was free in the morning so we planned to get some glassing in. He texted me the night before and says "are you going to bring your bow?" i said "no, we're only going for the morning and plus i have my muzzleloader hunt soon". (FYI Steven tagged out in January).

The next morning comes, we head out to a spot Steven wanted to check out.

Not long into glassing, Steven finds a nice muley buck. We got some quick video before he went out of sight. The morning goes on and we find the buck later, and we watched him the rest of the morning because we hadn't found anything more intriguing than he. Steven kept rubbing it in my face that I didn't bring my bow and I admit that I did make a mistake by leaving it.

We planned to come back the next day, after my morning classes. This time I'm definitely bringing my bow. We get out there and end up glassing him up again. He was in the same canyon as the day before! we watched him from roughly 1200 yards for 15 minutes or so until he bedded down. I quickily gathered my stuff and started cutting the distance. I got down to a hill opposing him and set up my glasses. I was able to reacquire him in the thicket. I picked out some landmarks and started down into the canyon. The wind could not have been better, perfectly in my face. I crawled to the top of the next hill, picked out my next landmark, and located the tree he was under. The tree was at 60 yards, I could see that i'd be able to get a little closer, while still having a bush block the buck's sight of me. He was quartering hard towards me and facing left. I sat there for a few minutes hoping he would stand up to adjust his bed, but knowing that he mostly likely wasn't going to move an inch. I decided to give it a try before the wind switched on me. I ranged it one more time, 48 yards. Drew back and stood unnoticed, let it fly and watched the fletching disappear between his neck and shoulder! He took a death run and crashed 40 yards from his bed!

I cannot thank Steven enough for all his help, without him, i surely wouldn't have been successful.

I will be donating my Muzzleloader coues tag to OE4A, and hopefully they will put it to good use!

post-12189-0-48843400-1505050178_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-95744000-1505050145_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-23938000-1505050157_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-24698600-1505050168_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-91249300-1505050198_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-63137800-1505050237_thumb.png

• Like 22

Congrats on a great buck. Steven sure knows what he's doing out in the hills.

• Like 2

Just an amazing desert muley! Man that guy looks like he's almost bald. Congrats on your deer!

Yeah he looks like that because he was losing his summer hair. That hair towards his hind end is his new winter coat

Congrats on a great buck. Steven sure knows what he's doing out in the hills.

Thank you! Im not too sure about that second part but I guess....lmao