tomharveyb

unit 8 antelope -Help!

Hey everybody- lucky enough to draw a muzzy tag this year. Scouted several trips, saw a few but nothing to get excited about. Went up early last week and spent the last few days before season opener trying to locate some animals. Bottom line-Garland Prairie which was an easy hunt 13 years ago with lots of animals, seems to have very few antelope on it. 2 does seen, lots of hiking and glassing.

Have tried looking around Drake and Putney Flat as well in my scouting. Came back to the valley to take care of a few things and am going back up Mon-end of season . Has anybody hunted this hunt recently that can give some insight on what to try? Game and Fish guy said there were not many lopes on GP last year either. Thanks. I'm thinking they must be in the trees, but don't know where to begin-needle in haystack. Unit 8 is BIG.

GP is a waste of time to hunt cause thats where everyone goes for everything.

Drake perkins ville road has a ton of lopes and some pretty big ones. from north of the perkinsville turn off to ashfork to east of the devil dog exit.

The roads are nice and be can traveled with a 2 wheel vehicle

just get on a hill and glass then take your pick.

if you want to hunt in the trees then west and south of whitehorse lake south of that main road and north of elk tank. there tough to hunt but there the biggest ones I have seen in the unit over the last 3 years. you usually dont see them everyday kinda a hit and miss deal.

one other place has 2 very nice bucks and thats south of whitehorse down the sycamore canyon turn off. follow that road till it opens to grass 3 miles from the end of road(you cant miss it). on the west side of road just as it turns south to canyon walk about 4 miles east towards (that one main lake with the bathroom jd tank

of the road you will see a slight rocky hill with some pines that go to the edge of the canyon south theres also a pond back there. theres 2 that hang around the WEST side of that little hill in some clearing and pines/ scrubs.

were going to be elk hunting in in unit 8 we see lopes all the time. we will be there from Wednesday night to monday then again the following week from Wednesday to monday

• Like 2

GP is a waste of time to hunt cause thats where everyone goes for everything.

Drake perkins ville road has a ton of lopes and some pretty big ones. from north of the perkinsville turn off to ashfork to east of the devil dog exit.

The roads are nice and be can traveled with a 2 wheel vehicle

just get on a hill and glass then take your pick.

if you want to hunt in the trees then west and south of whitehorse lake south of that main road and north of elk tank. there tough to hunt but there the biggest ones I have seen in the unit over the last 3 years. you usually dont see them everyday kinda a hit and miss deal.

one other place has 2 very nice bucks and thats south of whitehorse down the sycamore canyon turn off. follow that road till it opens to grass 3 miles from the end of road(you cant miss it). on the west side of road just as it turns south to canyon walk about 4 miles east towards (that one main lake with the bathroom jd tank

of the road you will see a slight rocky hill with some pines that go to the edge of the canyon south theres also a pond back there. theres 2 that hang around the WEST side of that little hill in some clearing and pines/ scrubs.

were going to be elk hunting in in unit 8 we see lopes all the time. we will be there from Wednesday night to monday then again the following week from Wednesday to monday

Thanks!!!!! As always CWT members willing to offer help

here ya go, Got google earth to work finally. Its against mt better judgement to post spots ont he internet, but its a lope tag in unit 8, not many of those.

post-14908-0-44030900-1505081919_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

How did you end up doing? we saw some decent ones going up thursday and a very nice non typical coming back today.

if you still need help email me at delapril@cox.net. if you dont and got one post the pics.

post-13867-0-81762500-1506001573_thumb.jpg

So after 7 days of hard hunting, I finally connected. I was up at 4 and out at daylight each day, hunting in the trees , with no luck finding lopes at all. On day 7 I went out to Putney Flat and glassed up 13 about 2 miles out and 3 more about 3/4 mi. away with a good buck. I spent the next 4 hours trying to get in muzzy range, which for me meant 200yds. or less. Finally went back to the truck when the buck and 2 does randomly took off and ran aboout a mile. On my way back to camp, I decided to check a small park area and there he was by himself. Not a big one, but decent enough for me at that point. An easy stalk, and a 200 yd shot and my hunt was over. At 68 with bad knees, it will be my last antelope in Az., unless I'm the luckiest man on earth and draw again- very unlikely! All in all, a good hunt, but not easy by any means. I hunt for the enjoyment of being out there, and the change from the city life. Mission accomplished.

• Like 17

Nice job, beautiful goat! Congrats!

Tom I just looked at a map to see were you went, we were up there driving around looking for deer 2 thursdays ago before we went up for elk. lots of lopes in that area along the pipeline road.