Beaton

What do you guys think?

Rather see pictures of the guide not the hunter. I can understand if they thought it was just wounded and thought no one was around tracking it. Also it depends on if the second two arrows were put in it under these same conditions. In any case I think the ethical thing would be to give your buddy the bull and keep hunting.

I also cant understand a hunter that wouldn't want to shoot his own bull. Makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

This just makes me sick.

Can't imagine

Good karma to your buddy.

I'll bet the guide walked away because he didn't agree with the tagging if the bull. I guide and I would give my 2 cents and then walk away also. I wouldn't post the pics of the guide , that isn't fair to the guide. He walked a way for a reason, or he would have stayed if he agreed.

I was not there - I am a friend who is simply posting these pictures of the bull and one of the guys2 great shots (the guy who stole the bull) - stuck in the base of the bulls antler!

post-8446-0-73986600-1505590686.png

post-8446-0-44601900-1505590700_thumb.jpg

This is what public land elk hunting has become. Ultra competitive, which brings out the worst in some folks. Im sure the hunter saw his opportunity to get done fast and be back in the city to play some golf and brag about how easy elk hunting is. Sorry for the guy who shot it first but thats the way it goes.

• Like 1

I'm not a lawyer, but I have followed a number of similar cases over the years that were resolved in court. Although we hunters have always used "first blood" to determine ownership, the courts instead nearly always have gone by who made the "killing shot." In other words, as awful as it seems to me and most other hunters, if that bull still was breathing when the guy and his guide approached it, I believe a judge would rule they legally could stick some more arrows in it and claim it.

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

Yes Bill I agree with you. I might also add though........that is difference between ethical behavior and legal behavior. Us geezers are "old school" which definitely have a different standard of ethics than some of the "new schoolers" ! Many of us geezers (including me) have experienced this scenario in our hunting past.......... and it makes me sick to my stomach to be reminded of those painful experiences.

Not worth the hassle --- Go find a bigger bull

I know that's easy for me to say but better than a non recovery bull and wasting 3-4 days tracking and passing on other bulls cuz you know you got one down.

No doubt the other arrow flinger is not a hunter and never will be- most likely the arrow in antler was because he missed a bull lying 10 yrds away

heres the dilemma - get right on the bull you've just shot knowing its a kill shot - or waiting the 30-40 minutes so you don't bump'm and compound the recovery .

in the mean time this kinda stuff still happens I bet more regular than any of us like.

I know numerous hunters whom found a gut pile when tracking an animal they shot!!

I agree. The guide walked away cause he didn't agree with tagging that bull. I told my buddy let him have it. The rut will only get better as the days go on. I told him he will get on more bulls. It's his decision if he wants to call a warden and probably still not get the bull back.

• Like 1

Complete garbage. Even if he didn't know the bull was already shot, he had one of two choices to make. After gathering all the information, he made the wrong one on many levels. It's still early, they should be getting really cranked up on Monday or Tuesday.

With 23 bonus points in my back pocket, this same scenerio always crosses my mind.

4Falls post hit it on the head.

The guy is a douche for sure!! Let it go & continue to hunt for a bigger bull.It sucks for sure, but what can you do, like others have stated fish & game will probaly do nothing & the court system isn't any better. Don't let it ruin your hunt you still have plenty of time to get it done. just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Keep us informed. Anyone know who the warden is up there?

The WM for 6B is Lee Ludecker he has been with the department for 44 years I believe all of them in 6B.