Sign in to follow this  
Big Tub

Terrible Hunter Etiquette times 2

Guest oneshot

attachicon.gifJonLope2.jpg

attachicon.gifJonLope1.jpg

If I were on a dead end road and was not the first in there, the right thing to do is back out.

Nice 'lope, Congrats...

A dead end road??? That is the same as a trailhead/pull-off, Sorry BigTub, but being first-in doesnt give anyone the right to the entire area and to complain that others used the area???...

Sounds like you cashed in your points and shot the buck you wanted in an area that is slowly turning to crap for antelope hunting. The only thing I would complain about is using a guide in a unit you can just about see every antelope in the whole unit from a high enough vantage point.

• Like 1

I've had similar hunts- single road trailhead- cars parked in our place.- what to do its - 1 mile in and then there's a lot of different canyons to hunt.

we catch up to them just before it opens up. we chat and actually watcha few bucks go over the canyon ridge to the left. Since they were first- they wanted to go after them - we said no problem we'd try a canyon off to the right since we had a big buck we were after in that canyon anyway

few hrs later we heard a boom -- boom -figured they'd scored - about 10 minutes later here a buck bounding up the side of our canyon from their direction - woulda been an easy shot but it was just a forky. the only deer we saw that day- thanks to the other guys going left. we were looking for a different buck

we are now friends with these guys - since we will probably meet agin while hunting and exchange "some" information on what we've seen on other trips into the area!

just enjoy your hunt- you were successful no harm no foul - congrats to your son-

pics always are nice to see!

Sorry guys, I'm with Big Tub on this one. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. If the road was a dead end and that was explained to the first truck, they had the option of turning around and heading back out - thus preserving the hunt for the first group there; or they could push forward and exercise their right to the public road. Ethics and courtesy be damned. With those kinds of hunters, I go out of my way to return the favor first chance I get. It is not just about public rights, it is about respect and recognizing there is enough public land for everybody. Now if this were a road going from point A to point B and beyond - then I have no problem with them driving through.

• Like 1

Big congrats to you and your son - great buck. With all due respect, unless I'm missing something, that sounds exactly what most public land hunting is - you got there early, got it done and others were hunting that area for the same reason you were.

Best wishes,

Coach

When you are on public land everyone has the right to traverse said road if it is on a public map . Whether hunting ,taking the in laws out to see birds or just out enjoying our public lands here in Arizona . You have the right to do so .

IMHO--I have been out and interacted with folks out and about and they have no clue whether a hunt is on or not . They are just out and enjoying our great state of AZ . Be thankful that we are still able to go and do what we want when we want for the fact that it is public land .

Don't get me wrong --I purchase a combo hunt fish license --lion tag and archery deer tag every year--just so that I can be out and about because I choose to . My choice , my money , my public lands--get out and enjoy .

Be safe --introduce a child to this wonderful pastime --being outdoors--nothing like it .

• Like 1