Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

2017 September Archery Bull 6x6

Friday evening I was able to tag this guy. Basically I had another 4x5 bull called in to 40 yards and passed on him 10 minutes earlier, right around 5:15pm. I circled the base of the hill I was hunting and got to 20 yards on a small 2x3 and passed on him. It was about 5:25 and I heard a bugle off in the not far distance. My brother in law and I headed in on him. I gave him a lost mew... nothing. Added a little whine in with it and he called right back. Bingo. Worked in to about 75 yards and got setup. We setup a pretty good doorway that he should walk right into at about 15-20 yards and began calling him in with the assembly mew. About 2 minutes later the cow he was cruising with came in to 10 yards in our doorway and just stared a hole right through us. She sat there staring for a good 2-3 minutes, but we had good wind and she didn't even know we were there. She took two steps forward and then I see the bull through a thick tree coming in. In the clearing there was a 6' stump of a tree that I figured I'd draw back when he got behind the stump. He hit the stump and I drew back. He stepped out from behind the stump perfectly in the clearing broadside at 23 yards. Thwack!

Waited 30 minutes and followed the blood trail. He didn't make it 150 yards before he piled up. I couldn't be any happier with him. The bulls were pretty vocal every morning and shut up about 7am. Evenings were hit and miss with bugling, just depended on the area you were in.

I stayed a few more days and called in about 7 more shooter bulls to 20-30 yards. I love this whole rut elk hunt thing!!

I want to thank all of you who helped me out with pointers, tips, etc. It was all well appreciated!!

post-5901-0-80937300-1505839676_thumb.jpgpost-5901-0-28777700-1505839428_thumb.jpg

• Like 20

Congrats to you. Great story. Heck of a bull.

Congratulations on a nice bull. Good write up and thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Congrats on a nice bull! Thanks for the story and pics.

Nicely done! You guys have some pretty good discipline letting all these smaller bulls walk. I'd be so excited I'd probably let fly at the first spike bull I saw. Congrats!