Sign in to follow this  
STEVENFJR

My Camp Navajo Bull

Alright guys, so I got a lot of great input from some of you on my last post a few months ago for info on Camp Navajo. The Thursday before opening day headed on the base to do some scouting. We found a herd with about 30 elk at least 10 of which were bulls screaming their heads off right at sundown. We backed out quietly and knew thats where we were going in the morning. The next morning we head out there at dark and just as we figured they were in the same exact spot. We slowly start closing the distance when we notice another hunter about 50 yards behind and to the right of us. No big deal well just keep doing our thing, when we notice another hunter off in the distance on our left. At this point the elk are probably 80 yards at the other side of the tree line when all of a sudden BOOM, BOOM, BOOM shots ringing out from all over the place. I felt like I was at the O.K. Corral, was not a good feeling at all. After all the shots hunters emerged from every where, there myst have been at least 15 people in that specific area. We backed out and went opposite way and as far away from there as possible. We were on elk all day but were never able to get into position for an ethical shot and boy is that forest thick. The next morning we came up with a new game plan and decided to try a new area where we had put some bulls to bed the night before. At first light we found the cows in a meadow but Mr. Bull was no where to be seen. We knew he was there somewhere so we looped all the way around them and got into position where they were, except they were no where to be seen. We stood there for a second trying to figure out where they had gone when off in the distance probably 100 yards out me see something flash between the trees. We watch it for a while as it was moving closer and then we can finally see that its him and he's coming strait to us. As he's moving closer Im trying to move around slowly to find a window through the trees for a clean shot. At this point he's coming head on to us so I just stop right there and let him keep coming. Now he's at 51 yards right in front of me when he seems to look right at me and goes to bugle when I squeeze the trigger and let the air out of him. He rears back like a horse on his hind legs and jumps up and then drops strait down like a sack of potatoes. The rest was history. Thanks to all that shared knowledge and info.

post-14341-0-87117300-1505844981_thumb.jpeg

post-14341-0-76592000-1505845157_thumb.jpg

post-14341-0-23060600-1505845403_thumb.jpeg

post-14341-0-65163600-1505845584_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Congrats on a nice bull - good grillin ahead

I drew it a few yrs back - 3 different times - once archery bull - twice any elk rifle

tagged a big spike and a cow it was a fun hunt- lots of restrictions but easy to follow rules.

Not sure about the Commander now but a lot of changes when they had a non- hunter friendly commander

It can be a great hunt - great time but when they have field maneuvers it can shut down all hunting- if they have rifle qualifiactions can shut down 1/2 the buffer zone

when that tornado tore thru the south side - it screwed everything up for a while too.

since i'm only eligible for civilian tags and they cut back the numbers on those-and made changes on leftover applications- I quit taking a chance on 1 or 2 tags for my chances to hunt elk -- better odds on general archery or rifle

if you have 6-10 points the depot can be a shoe in draw -- even if there are very limited tags

• Like 2