Rock30golf

How do you tell if a barrel has been shot out?

title says it all. I have a rem 7mm that i cant get zeroed. It throws rounds all over the place at 100 yards. 6-12 inchs apart?

Have you ruled out any other possible causes of the bad accuracy? Scope bases tight? Scope rings tight? Scope broke? Action screws loose? Barrel free floated? Has barrel been cleaned with a good copper solvent? 1st thing I would check would be the mounts and scope rings. After that, I would put the scope on a known accurate rifle and see how it does on that. What bullet are you shooting? Reloads or factory ammo?

• Like 1

Well first time i put a new crossfire scope on it. After 2 boxes of bullets I came to the conclusion that the scope was bad. I took the scope back and bought a new viper 6-20. Sportsmans warehouse put the scope on, with new bases. I am shot two diffreent bullets out of it. horaday sst 162 grain and horaday eld 165 grain.

If you don't have AT LEAST 500 rounds through it and have treated it good without overheating it, it probably is not the barrel. The few barrels i have seen that were shot out went through a pretty gradual change in group size. Never seen one open up to 12" groups though. Did it shoot good previously?

I bought the rifle about 6 months ago for my dad. I bought from a outfitter in colorado, that passed away. I will say the barrel in not factory nor the bolt, or stock, from what i could tell this was a well built rifle. This guy must have had over 100 rifiles that were all done up.

I'd triple check you scope mount setup. I've had issue in the past with the scope mounting work done at Sportsman's Warehouse. They motivated me to get my own setup, and I now mount and do all of my own scope work.

Several years back I had them put a scope on a 7-08 I bought for my son. I went out to the range and shot it. I was having problems similar to yours, and after about 10 rounds the recoil from the rifle caused the scope to go flying several feet in front of the shooting bench into the dirt. Fortunately the scope glass was fine with a few minor cosmetic bumps on the body. I wasn't very happy and took it back down to Sportsman's the following week. A different guy was there this time. He apologized and remounted it. That weekend I went shooting again, and again was having grouping issues with the first few rounds. I checked the scope and it was completely loose and about to come off again. I borrowed some tools from a guy at the range and put t back on myself. It has now been several years and my scope hasn't budged since that day. Lesson learned.

I like Sportsman's Warehouse and still shop their regularly, they are definitely the best of the big three. But like the saying goes, If you want something done right, do it yourself.

• Like 1

1. Pull scope & rings

2. Pull mount, reinstall and torque to spec

3. Reinstall rings properly

4. Reinstall scope and torque to spec

5. Torque actionscrews to spec

6. Clean barrel. I mean strip EVERYTHING. Carbon, copper. Use a good solvent, Shooter's Choice, then Sweet 7.62 is what I use. Then a good carbon solvent again. Repeat as needed until all blue/green is absent from patches. Then dry patch it.

7. Check crown

8. Foul barrel with 5-10 shots. Then shoot for sight-in and groups.

9. Then report back.

I would say a 7RM should go 1200-1700+ rounds before it goes south.

• Like 4

6-12 inches at 100 yards is bad even for a shot out bbl. I would bet it's in the scope set up (base rings or scope) or you might wanna think about a chamber cast. Especially if this guy that passed away had a lot of custom guns.

• Like 1

Now that I know the scope was / is a Vortex I would put money on the scope being bad. Those things are complete Junk. I just sent off another clients Viper HS LR just last week because the stupid thing wouldn't hold a zero or track at all.

• Like 2

Now that I know the scope was / is a Vortex I would put money on the scope being bad. Those things are complete Junk. I just sent off another clients Viper HS LR just last week because the stupid thing wouldn't hold a zero or track at all.

Wow i have vortex on everything. The crossfire is the only thing i have a problem with.

Wow i have vortex on everything. The crossfire is the only thing i have a problem with.

Give it time. You will eventually have trouble with all of them. At least that has been my experience with them. I have quit counting how many Vortex scopes I have sent off for repair and I cringe every time a client brings me one on a rilfe he wants tuned up.