602Huntr

Unit 7 East

Totally depends on weather. I have seen tons of deer up in 7E this year. Biggest bucks I have seen have been low however.

I have the 7E bull hunt as well.. Really it's going to depend on the weather. I wont bother scouting the unit til mid Nov..

Thanks for the input so far. What is the weather like during the November deer hunt usually? I went up there this week to get a feel for the area and there is a ton of roads! I'm curious what the weather will be like on December 1st...

Make sure to have cloths for cold weather, and wind. Weather plays a huge role in that hunt.

Depends on weather leading UP to your hunt on whether the elk will be pushing down or not. There are always elk in the PJs, but a lot move down off the Peaks as the cold and snow move in. Deer are browsers, elk are grazers. Less snow depth = easier to find food.

I have been in 7W on the late hunt many times. It can be anywhere from -10° to 50°. Plan for everything. Layers are your friend.

Deer are all over 7E. North of the Peaks is where I have been scouting and seeing tons. Like 30-60 Deer a day. Mostly does, but quite a few decent bucks mixed in.

Depends on quality vs. Quantity. And after opening day, all bets are off. Look for deep, nasty, thick stuff....and where no one else is.

Personally, I scout from May to December. A lot of people say elk will not stay in the same places. I have found that to be inconsistent.

Grab the kids (if you have any), a .22LR, go squirrel hunting, and scout at the same time. Season opens Oct 6th. Start looking as soon as you can.

• Like 1

Depends on quality vs. Quantity. And after opening day, all bets are off. Look for deep, nasty, thick stuff....and where no one else is.

Personally, I scout from May to December. A lot of people say elk will not stay in the same places. I have found that to be inconsistent.

Grab the kids (if you have any), a .22LR, go squirrel hunting, and scout at the same time. Season opens Oct 6th. Start looking as soon as you can.

This is very good advice for the OP. The bull in my avatar was found in August and I watched him for a dozen plus days, there were 5 hunts before mine and that bull was 450 yards from where I first saw him in August, my hunt was in December. Scouting well before your the hunt allows you to learn the roads, where to camp, the terrain and exactly where you are going to hunt, with at least two or three good areas. Look for places that are road less, rough, deep, thick and steep. Most hunters wont want to pack an elk out of. Where I killed that bull I have offered to take a friend who had a tag back into that area, once I showed him from about three miles out where we had to go he told me to go F**K my self. Thats the type of area you need to look for. There were two other bulls that he hung out with that were much bigger but I couldnt locate them, and I promised myself not to pass any one of the three bulls I had been watching. Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I've been out there once so far but plan on going back as much as possible. I seen nothing but deer, no elk. I have been studying my map, and there are roads everywhere! Sounds like I have to continue studying my maps and checking on the places I think may be secluded during scouting. That is a nice bull btw! I definitely wouldn't have passed on it either!