IHunt2live

Looking at getting a hand gun

I never grew up using hand guns in fact I've never even shot one before but I'm looking at getting one mostly to wear when I'm archery hunting or when I'm just hiking the hills looking for sheds. I'de like one that is light enough but has enough knock down power to put down a lion.

I'm thinking I'de like a revolver.

Any pointers for what I should look for? What are you guys thoughts on .38 44 and .357?

Mike

if your lookin at a revolver .357 mag is awsome because you can also shoot .38 spec. in it.

as far as non-revolvers go i love my Springfield XDs in .40 S&W and .45 Auto

I agree,.357 magnum. Ruger, S&W, or Taurus if you want to spend a little less for basically the same gun.

KP

Gamehauler:

I have a Taurus as well. Have you noticed on your cylinder tiny burrs from the cylinder stop (I believe that's what it's called)? I took it down to the dealer, and he said it was normal to see that as most revolvers have them.

KP

My wife has a snub-nose Taurus .38 special and I have a .357 Smith and Wesson with a 6-inch barrel. These are strictly our home/car defense handguns, although I plan to bump off a javelina with mine in February.

For what you want, though, I suggest you consider getting a small semiauto .22 long rifle pistol, like a High Standard or Colt Woodsman. I have both and they are surprisingly accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a lion with either of them, if that was all I had, and they are big enough to scare off the two-legged coyotes along the border.

Unless you handload, you won't shoot the .357 mags as much as a .22 and you'll will miss out on a lot of fun.

Bill Quimby

My favorite revolver is a S&W model 686, thts what I carry in the hills with me ;)

My favorite revolver is a S&W model 686, thts what I carry in the hills with me ;)

right on!

the 686 is one heck of a fine hand gun. I had the 6" barrel, but traded it as it sat at home most of the time because my XD-40 gets most of the field time as it is accurate, and packes 11 rounds of .40 s& w.

look at the xd line up, either the 4" (service) in 40 or 45. you wont be let down!

Love my Springfield XD 45. Accurate, easy to handle, well built, and powerful. When fronted with a larger critter, like a bear, I'd certainly feel safer with the 45 than any smaller caliber. That said, a revolver with longer barrel would give you more accuracy at a distance.

Gotta second the XD-40 vote. I bought one last year and love it. 12 rounds of 180 grain hollow points should be plenty ;). I never head south without it, and there's been times when I was really glad I had it.

The XD's are a great gun. MY brother and a couple friends have them. I just got a taurus pt24-7 and with a bit of time behind it i will get good with it. It has 2 15 round mags so i can have 30 rounds of 40 cal with me at all times and with 2 extra mags in the back pack for when i am not hunting but out exploring i will have 60 rounds. (yes i just learned addition so i am showing off by adding that up for you all). I had a taurus 357 for a few years and it was the most acurate hand gun i have ever had. I traded it for a peice of prospecting equipment and kick my self all the time for doing it.

Another vote for the XD's. I bought a 45 compact back in march and i couldn't be happier. As far as revolvers go, id also say a 357 is you best bet if you want a larger caliber. 38's are cheap enough to shoot (not near as inexpensive as a 22lr) and a 357 mag packs a heck of a punch. My dad is a pretty bug 357 fan, he has a few. As far as used revolvers to look for besides the above mentioned; ruger security six, ruger gp100. Either of those you should be able to pick up at a reasonable price.

For someone who has little or no experiance with pistols the Revolver is a good choice.

Most people have played cowboys and Indians or Cops and Robers when they were kids

all you have to do is point and squeeze the trigger. The 357 is a good choice also, you can use 38's like someone said . Ruger ,Tauraus , Smith , are good choices . Check CDNN they run specials on used Had Guns at a good price.