Sign in to follow this  
TOBY

Road Closures

I like that the go to retort on CWT is that sounds "Liberal", "Left" or "Hillary".

Prior to the Wallow Fire in 2011 the USFS was conducting meetings in units 27 and 1 for proposed TMP changes. I personally have copies of the ridiculous maps they shared with us in those meetings. The plan was to close approximately 90% of the roads in those units. Many roads have already been closed without proper due process IMHO. The fire put those ridiculous plans on hold luckily, but I am confident they will try again. I have heard from many residents that they will not allow the USFS to have their way with their left wing restrictive privilege grabbing desires. We'll see how this all unfolds soon unfortunately. Maybe the current administration can hold off this ridiculous effort for another 4 years at least.

• Like 1

Personally, I would like to see less roads. In the unit we're hunting this year, there are very few places you can hike more than a mile from a road before hitting another road.

• Like 3

I agree personally id like to see less roads, and food for though what if they had the roads open during the winter? If they get torn up it will keep people off them in time without having to be enforced? Everyone around here has side by sides and we have a ungodly amount of road hunters. Its pretty sad honestly. but that's just my 2 cents. Id rather enjoy the outdoors then have to worry about someone rolling through the area in a 4x4.

• Like 1

Unit 27 already has two wilderness areas.....The Blue Wilderness and Bear Wallow Wilderness so that unit is not road bound like many of the other hunting units. Closing roads adjacent to the wilderness areas, as the USFS proposed pre-2011, would just expand those wilderness areas without going thru due process. Totally unnecessary, and different than what some of you have expressed frustration over in other units. I do understand your concerns there though. Closing more roads in 27 and 1 will just concentrate hunters in less real estate, and escalate all the bad stuff I see most of you expressing your frustrations about on this forum. JMHO.

• Like 3

Unit 27 already has two wilderness areas.....The Blue Wilderness and Bear Wallow Wilderness so that unit is not road bound like many of the other hunting units. Closing roads adjacent to the wilderness areas, as the USFS proposed pre-2011, would just expand those wilderness areas without going thru due process. Totally unnecessary, and different than what some of you have expressed frustration over in other units. I do understand your concerns there though. Closing more roads in 27 and 1 will just concentrate hunters in less real estate, and escalate all the bad stuff I see most of you expressing your frustrations about on this forum. JMHO.

well put.

There's a lot of quiet places out there. There's a lot of wilderness that nobody ever sets a foot in each year.

• Like 2

if your waiting and hoping KARMA is going to get even - good luck with that

it's always been the same - some follow rules - others never will

It's not right -it's not fair - it can tick you off till next yr but I can guarantee it'll happen agin

I don't even bother anymore trying to inform others of the "RULES" -- complete waste of my time

if they really wanted to close the roads-- then get a DOZER in there and CLOSE IT

• Like 2

When a forest service sign is stuck in the dirt with a number of the road on it, well, yes, I would assume its open. However the stuff in the Coconino is a joke. I bought a Flatlines map for a ridiculous price , but it was current. I knew what roads were close. Yes, I stopped at each intersection to see if if it was open.

I agree with the dozer part, or as in AS forest, tons of "road Closed" signage. Still too much" I didn't Know" going on. It is our responsability to know the laws before heading out. Closed to hunters, closed to Forest service as well. Just my thoughts.

I was in Coconino over the weekend. seems like no one is using their stupid map. No way I want to hike a mile into an area to find a parked UTV. The forest is useless to the "average" user without access. There are plenty of wilderness area's for those that want that experience. I for one won't be the guy that calls the Forest Fairy's when I see an ATV using a road that has been there for 50 years. I am sick of all of their baloney.

• Like 2

Most people probably do not realize that we lost 50% of our forest/green trees in units 27&1 from the Wallow Fire simply because the fire was started in the Bear Wallow Wilderness and there were not enough roads (or natural barriers) to efficiently stop the fire. The airplanes did not drop slurry for at least two days, and only after the fire had exited the wilderness area of Bear Wallow and was totally uncontrollable. In other words........ if you wish to burn the entire Arizona forests down just simply make more wilderness areas, and eliminate most of the access roads so the forest can no longer be managed. The devastating Wallow Fire was so predictable to most that lived in the area....... but for some reason the USFS was blinded by the light! Another sad element of that devastating fire is we are still losing green trees as a result of the fire as the winds now have less resistance and during wet times are simply blowing over very healthy trees that are over 100+ years old. The devastation continues!

• Like 1

Maps are great but I think we may as well admit that it might be better to put out a sign at this point. Harder to deny you saw a sign. (i hope)

I could live with just restricting ATVs entirely. Allow them during the scout but not at all when any draw hunt is running.