Sign in to follow this  
300RUM

What happened here?

I came across this while assisting on an elk hunt last week. The entire skeleton is present. I have a theory. Just curious if others will come to the same conclusion as I did.

post-15248-0-20275800-1506399111_thumb.jpg

I found a skeleton the same way a few years ago in unit 6a. My thought was it had to be poached for the horns, but never did find out what happened

I found a skeleton the same way a few years ago in unit 6a. My thought was it had to be poached for the horns, but never did find out what happened

OK, but why saw them off rather than take the skull or skull plate?

Thats what puzzled me about the skeleton I found horns were sawed off just like this. I have no explanation????

Maybe a dead head someone just wanted the horn to sell? If that's even legal

The weathering on the cuts is consistent with the rest of the skull, the antlers were likely cut off at time of death.

I have found several such skulls/ skeletons. Figured died of wounds, auto strike etc. Personally I would have taken the entire skull.

I have found a lot like that. I always figured poachers too. Easier to hide 2 loose antlers in the bottom of the bed of a pickup or back seat than a full skull or head with antlers attached.

Could have been a nasty, rotten mess when they found it. Didn't want to pack the whole thing.

• Like 7

I considered 3 possibilities. Hunter, antler collector and poacher. To me poacher was the most likely. There is a fourth possibility. I called the location in to G&F and they told me their officers saw the antlers of dead animals they locate and bring them in to be auctioned at the expo. I thought all the stuff auctioned at the expo was recovered from poachers.

I considered 3 possibilities. Hunter, antler collector and poacher. To me poacher was the most likely. There is a fourth possibility. I called the location in to G&F and they told me their officers saw the antlers of dead animals they locate and bring them in to be auctioned at the expo. I thought all the stuff auctioned at the expo was recovered from poachers.

I know someone that had found a fresh kill during an archery hunt with the antlers cut like that. When he reported it the G$F officer told him the bull died naturally and he has already been out there to remove the antlers.

I found one exactly like that in 5BS last week. I figured someone just cut the antlers off and didn't want the rest.