Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

Bear Stew

Guest oneshot

Friends Bow Bear, this year...

One large pot dealy... lightly browned cubed bear roast in butter/olive oil, handfull of flour, salt/pepper/cumin,bay leaves, alittle consume/burgundy wine to cover, added cubed potato/baby carrots, alittle thin sliced/chopped onion. slow cooking on low heat,4-5hours, strong coffee added as needed to keep covered in liquid...

Cooled off over-night, to let flavours meld, for saturday dinner, served w/sweet corn bread and COLD beer...

post-1378-0-72196100-1507323203_thumb.jpg

What time should me and my bottle of macallans single malt be there?

Now THAT is how you solicit an invitation.

What time should me and my bottle of macallans single malt be there?

Now THAT is how you solicit an invitation.

:D

I will certainly try out this tasty sounding recipe with my recent kill as this bear is the BEST tasting I have ever taken.

Hunted 16 days this season. Mostly with dogs but also sitting tanks, glassing and calling. Astounding amount of bears in my area, 22 and 23, this year due to strong acorn crop .Treed 11 bears, glassed 2 and saw 7 come in to water while sitting tanks. All of the bears on tanks were sows with cubs so no kill but heaps of fun watching. Killed a 4 to 5 year old sow last day of hunt. When skinning her out she was loaded with fat and in prime condition. Using all 4 quarters to make ground, sausage and chorizo. Kept the back straps and loins to grill. Also one rack of ribs to put in the smoker.

Helped a buddy whose wife had a cow tag pack out her kill Sunday. Monday night we had the celebratory elk loin, backstop spuds wine and roasted peppers feast all cooked over mesquite coals. Along with bear t loin for appetizer.

NOW for the point of this post. The bear t loin was incredible. Cooked through just past medium it was tender juicy and not gamey in the least. All present who sampled agreed it was almost as good as the medium rare elk. And as we hunters know medium rare elk loin be some dang tasty fare.

• Like 1