More D

Deer salt frequency?

Today during my 5th southern AZ mule deer scouting trip I came across salt block(s) that have zero cattle tracks only deer. Before I get too excited.....

How often do deer hit the salt?

Will the same frequency continue once hunting pressure starts up?

Couldn't tell you about desert mulies, but I've had very little luck getting the bucks to consistently hit it in the high country. Seems like if they happen to be in the area, they'll hit it hard for a day or two, then wander away usually to never be seen again.

Does and fawns don't cover that much ground though (especially when the fawns are little) and they can be on it daily through the summer and into the fall until the rut starts.

Only way to know for sure is to sit it for a few days. Good luck!

• Like 1

in my limited experence, the bucks slow way down on salt intake after they shed velvet.

• Like 3

Interestingly enough today I saw both whitetail and mulie spikes. They had roughly the same length antlers but only the whitetail was in full velvet. They were within 500 yards of each other.

Just like Matty281 said, they might hit it for a few days then be gone for a few. Depends on the time of year and there migration patterns.

Many factors at play that result in many different frequencies. Usually they tend to hit more during summer months, sometimes almost daily (kaibab for example they really hammer salt). I have deer on my property, and a water trough with salt next to it. The deer have not hit the salt one time in 6 months, but the bachelor herd hits the water usually several times a week... they must get their salt/mineral fix naturally somewhere else here.

You'll see deer frequently enough to recognize individual deer and enough to track antler growth, but not enough to guarantee their visiting the salt lick on any given day or any given week for that matter.

The monsoon rains seem to really scatter the deer, especially the bucks. The bachelor herds vacated my salt licks through the monsoon and didn't return until after archery season was over.