jebber

unit 8 muzzleloader cow hunt

After hunting for five days of my hunt I never saw a cow elk

I think it was do to the archery hunt the week before I do not revoked this hunt

That is very surprising to hear!! There are a lot of elk all over that unit. My dad has late rifle bull in december.

You must have stayed in the Sultanna bar all day to not see any cow elk in Unit 8 😎

• Like 7

I have been hunting in Arizona for over 50 years and yes, sometimes it just seems like there's no game around. :wacko: I have a friend that has a 23000 acre ranch where I used to help gather cattle now and then. Those big ol red and white and black things you would think would stick out like a diamond in a goat's butt, especially when you are on horseback with a great view. One time I figured if someone took a big iron and ironed out all the peaks, canyons and draws and creeks in those 23000 acres you'd have about 46000 acres to search. Thank God for the cow dogs that would find them in the canyons and let us know where the action was. Sure, we would see some, trail some and just flat run into some. Near Wickenburg my buddies and I had a running joke that you'd swear some years all the deer in the county were where we were hunting and in some years, like last year for me, just spikes,does and fawns. At 65, I don't make it up the hills and down the canyons like I used to when I was younger, but going to give it my all next week on my elk hunt . And for all those with a tag for an upcoming hunt, GOOD LUCK!!

• Like 1

After hunting for five days of my hunt I never saw a cow elk

I think it was do to the archery hunt the week before I do not revoked this hunt

Its the Russians Fault......

Seriously you didnt see one cow elk the whole time? I have to ask were in the unit you were hunting. I am thinking a popular community hunting spot in the north east, like garland prairie.

you cant drive down the dirt road going to camp with out seeing a cow or bull anywhere in that unit except that area.

• Like 1

I had a late rifle hunt in 8 many years ago that went like that. Nobody we talked with had seen anybody that had seen anything first hand. They heard of someone who talked to there cousin who saw one. They were absolute ghosts that year. The year prior we killed on the second day of the same hunt.

I'd show you pics of cow elk in 8 taken over the last couple of weeks, but photobucket is blocking me if I don't give them tons of money.

There are elk all over that unit. It is always a roll of the dice and sometimes they just don't roll your way.

Jebber,I hope I did not upset you i was just triing my hand at being funny.

If you ever get drawn for that hunt again I will personally help you get a cow.

Just let me know and i will even let you stay at my house in Williams.

Sorry again if I upset you.

• Like 3

I don't think the elk get pushed out in too many areas. What I have seen the last several years of hunting or helping on this hunt, the elk are not in the open much during daylight hours. I think the pressure changes their behavior more than their location. At least that has been my experience. Sorry to hear you had a bad hunt. Did you hear any bugles?

I love that hunt .. I put that down every year for my 2nd choice... Bulls still on hard , weather is perfect and there are elk every where in that unit.. All you have to do is Get out of your truck walk a little ways and Stop, Look, and Listen..."BOOOOM" 6 hours later your at the Sultanna watering hole...Great hunt, But this year I was Lucky, I was Drawn for 6a Bull muzzy .. Lets hope I have better Luck...

• Like 1