Sign in to follow this  
lancetkenyon

1st Time LR Shooter @ 751

Didn't get hardly any photos, but another member here that I did load development for, has a hunt coming up, and wanted to go verify drops out at some longer ranges.

Had a blast, shot some mid and long range stuff. I think he is ready for his hunt. I don't know how much long range experience he had, but I think it was an eye opener for him on what his rifles are capable of.

We started right off the bat at 545, then went 751, 1191, and 1435. I don't think he thought 545 was even possible, but I build his rifle and ballistic info into Shooter, worked up the conditions, and he put his first shot within 4" of POA. Did some quick adjustments, and tjen shot a few more, then went ton751 where he was within 2" of POA on his 1st shot.

We shot:

R700 custom 6.5 SLR pushing a 140 HVLD @ 2843fps

.264WM R700 Sendero pushing a 130 HVLD @ 3180fps

7RM Sako LR Hunter pushing a 168 HVLD @ 2950fps (need to true the velocity, I think it is a hair faster than this)

.300RUM R700 custom pushing a 230 Hybrid @ 3068fps

I have had my scope off my .300RUM and on another rifle for load development, and had my rifle worked on by Phoenix Custom Rifles (bed stock, Cerakote, Wyatt's extended box), and had not rezeroed or shot it since I messed with the zero, so I had to get that done before the next few hunts I have to go on. So I took that out, and good Lord is that thing a work of art hammer.

20171015_085847.jpg

It was really cool to get out with someone who has not done any long range stuff, and help tjem gain the confidence to make that mid-range (out to 750) shot.

• Like 8

Its nice to see someone take the time to help one get started.

• Like 4

Yeah, we got there, I open the back of the truck....dang it. Shooting mat still on my reloading desk.

• Like 1

I like the shooting mat

That was the first thing I notice before looking at the gun ha ha ha

• Like 1