Sign in to follow this  
daverp

Back to U10!

Heading out on Monday for a couple weeks in U10 for rifle deer. Kind of a tough hunt, but if you're patient and work hard, you can bag the bucks. We've taken a couple very respectable ones out of there over the past half dozen years or so, and passed on many a lesser buck.

Love the unit, the relative solitude during deer season, and the challenge.

With a little luck, may bag another 180 type buck. But this year, honestly, I just want to put some venison in the freezer for a change. The bucks in U10 that have been passed on in years past may not want to be quite so casual around me this year.

Looking very forward to chasing U10 bucks and chillin' out by the fire with the brother and nephew. And if the deer gods smile on me, there will be a venison roast cookin' for Xmas. But...hunting muley's in U10 isn't about filling a tag. It's about the experience. And am so very much looking forward to it, tag soup, or Xmas venison roasts be damned.

Can't wait.

Our U10 bucks the last years...

post-1213-0-94124800-1415259732_thumb.jpg

post-1213-0-10271900-1508138324_thumb.jpg

post-1213-0-74583500-1508138416.jpg

• Like 12

I agree. You're doing something right. Keep up the patience. You've done better than most I know in 10.

Those are some nice bucks. Good luck

So i know where I'm putting in Next year

They're there. But maybe not so fast! They aren't hiding behind every Juniper! I can't tell you how many times we've been into 3, 4 or 5 days of glassing 12 hours a day without seeing so much as a jackrabbit moving, let alone a deer. Elk? Sure, this is the place. Deer? Hope you have patience! Frustration defined is glassing for muley's in U10. You really begin to question yourself and your hunt unit choice on about day 4 or 5 of a deer hunt without having seen a more than a button buck, couple of does, or a forkie or two (on a decent week) after climbing up to glassing points at 0'dark thirty in the dark, and not coming off until it's black out again, day after day, on 3 or 4 hours sleep a night. That I can tell ya! If you need opportunities to stay motivated, this is not the place to hunt! But...patience...persistence....and every once in a while you get to see a "oh dang" buck. And when you don't, you sill get to sit under that awesome blanket of stars, sipping a glass of Jack, Amaretto, or a beer around a dwindling, perfectly fueled pinyon campfire, maybe eat a hotdog, bratwurst, an elk burger from last year's hunt, or just a can of soup heated over the fire, and not be bothered by a dang other person. For the most part.

Looking forward to a beer, and a tortilla wrapped bratwurst cooked over campfire coals come Tuesday about 2 a.m.!

• Like 6