Sign in to follow this  
daverp

Back to U10!

Chris Favour at Mount-N-View Taxidermy in Flag. I made the pedestal, he did the rest. Real nice work. Love the mount, he does a great job.

Not this year. Long story short, decided on day 2 to take a meat buck. Two shots felt solid, great rest on a tripod, sitting with back to tree, elbow on knee. Short of shooting off a table, couldn't ask for a better rest in the field. Basically a dang near chip shot. Shots looked good. They weren't. Showed signs of a hit on shot one (spun and raised his right shoulder like I busted it...right where I was aiming for). He went down hard after the 2nd shot, then got back up 25 seconds or so later like his rear end was spring loaded. Ultimately was foiled by a scope off 3.5" to 4" left at 100 yds (shot at 260, broadside, standing, facing left). Tried to track until midnight, then returned for another 4 or 5 hours next morning. Blood stopped after 100 yards. Spent a lot of time looking, and then in the following days sitting and waiting to see if he'd show again, looking for signs of birds above, etc. No deal. First time I can recall not checking zero right before the hunt. First time I can recall having a scope knocked off zero. First time I've lost one. A little complacency got me big time on this one. What a dang waste.

Had I any inkling they weren't rock solid shots I'd of backed off and come back in the morning. I had no reason to suspect they weren't, and probably pushed him into the next county looking for him that night. No sign of him anywhere within 10 miles over the next four days or so.

That was it for me on this hunt other than running the predator call trying to get the nephew on some coyotes and bobcats (bagged his first coyote).