Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Youth success is the best of all

So my 13 year old has hunted deer and pig but this was his first elk hunt (cow). As I did for his older brothers I bought him his own rifle as an 8th grader.

Browning X bolt 6.5 creed

Vortex viper 4-16x50 LR

Using hornady ELD X 143 grain

Had him at the range a few times and he banged steel at 200 and 300 no issue off a rest using scope reticle drops. I'd hunted this unit on my tag or helping others four years so I thought I could get him to 350 or under if not really at 200.

Opening morning. I made a poor decision on a stalk and we got busted but he learned from my mistake

Opening evening we glassed them again. Out of my 1000 yard range finder. We talked about our options and he had learned from earlier it was better to back away and take the long hard way to have a good stalk. Use the wind. And have them work to use. The cooperated we got to 550 yard. And lost cover so we belly crawled for 100 yards to a point and had them at 430 yrd. I had him prone on our packs. And said just take a look and tell me what you think. He took a while and got comfy and said. I got this Dad Wind was howling at least 15 or 20 mph. And we talked about the drift. Using his 400 drop reticle he adjusted up to spine hoping to drop in. Fired and flew it just over the top. dang creedmore flew flatter than the scope. My bad. They moved up and stoped. Ranged them at 460. He found the one he wanted. Put it 12 inches or so out in front of her neck for the wind and fired. She dropped like a stone never took a step.

We did the happy dance hugged and laughed. You all know the deal. Fun.

Hiked over and he said. Wow dad how we getting this out of here

So I went gutless and took straps rib neck meat an put in one bag. And the two shoulders in a bad and a hind in each of their own bags. Hung the shoulders hung a hind high in trees tied the straps and free meat in his pack put a hind on the x2 eberlestock for me. Stood up to go and the moonless night was as black as a curtain.

I told him as we glassed that if we got separated or I got hurt to go west and you will hit a fence line. You can't not hit it. Follow it up past the tank I knapped at and to a gate with a road closed sign and then. Take the two track back and you find the truck.

So the boy had great internal navigation. We found a planet in the direction we wanted to go and followed. He never panicked. We both fell a few tims. Climbed. Crawled got all scratched up. Took breaks and made the 3.5 miles back to the truck. Huge father son bonding time. I'm pleased with the shot but I'm more proud of the hike out. Boy became a young man

Came back in the morning with the wife and dogs and hauled the rest out. One of my best hunts ever.

We will enjoy this memory for a lifetime

post-5454-0-99344100-1508203037_thumb.jpg

post-5454-0-73229100-1508203047_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

I recently gnome those ridges. Bet I have napped by the same tank.

Congratulations to both, especially the young man. Good for you!

Wow what a great experience memories for a life time congrats to you and your son

Sounds like that was a very cool adventure. Congratulations to you guys!