Sign in to follow this  
WarrZone

Seeing Muleys Instead of Coues

I've been scouting an area where I am confident there are Coues Deer but I've only been seeing mule deer.

When this happens is there anything you guys change up in your glassing habits? Do you start looking higher? Lower? In the thicker areas? Or are do you just "find them where they are", like I've been reading a lot.

Sometimes I think might be glassing too far away. How far away are you comfortable glassing for Coues with some decent 10x42 binos? I have the Vortex Viper HD's. I also have a spotting scope but trying to get a baseline for how far with the binos. I can usually pick out mule deer at around 800 yds.

Good luck to everyone next week!

Look higher, and in thick rough terrain, they will intersect areas.

I am having the same issue but seeing coues and I have a mulie tag.

More D - I feel you there. When I was looking for deer earlier in the year, I had no problem finding elk and no luck with any deer. I start looking specifically for Coues deer, I find tons of mule deer and no Coues.

So, generally I've seen there is no specific elevation to Target. But you guys would say that when you pick an area, you would focus on the higher/thicker/rougher areas in the general area, correct?

• Like 1

I think it depends on the unit. For example, unit 27, higher doesn't mean more coues deer. In the southern units, if you're seeing mule deer then you're looking too low.

• Like 4

So, generally I've seen there is no specific elevation to Target. But you guys would say that when you pick an area, you would focus on the higher/thicker/rougher areas in the general area, correct?

Lots of units have overlapping and areas in general that hold higher density of each type. IMO, it sounds like you should look up The "where to hunt" (For your Unit) on the game and fish web site. Then scout the different areas they suggest for Coues and take into account all the information you are asking about where you find them.... from there you can spread out in the unit finding similar habitats and new areas less traveled.

• Like 3

Creed is spot on, I find up in the central units there is a lot of overlap in ranges. Down here in the sky islands I don't see any mule deer once I get out of the foothills.

• Like 1

What unit are you having trouble in? This will help us know where to send you.

• Like 1

Where i hunt coues, i generally see more mulies. Spending a lot of time in an area helps. Certain ridges seem to hold mostly coues, while others, sometimes being only a few hundred yards away, seem to hold more mulies. There is a LOT of overlap. I have noticed that mulies are spread out pretty much all over where i hunt, but the coues tend to stick to their little pockets for the most part.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Big Browns - I am in Unit 22. Does that help?

Str8shot - that is the approach I have been taking. I have been to probably 3 or 4 areas on the "Where to Hunt" page for this unit.

Which is why I was confident the area holds Coues, but thought that maybe I was just focusing on the wrong habitat/terrain, since I've only been seeing muleys.

My last area, this weekend, I hiked in 4 miles one way. It was fun hiking back in the dark with no moon, but I do enjoy finding those less traveled areas.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Big Browns - I am in Unit 22. Does that help?

Str8shot - that is the approach I have been taking. I have been to probably 3 or 4 areas on the "Where to Hunt" page for this unit.

Which is why I was confident the area holds Coues, but thought that maybe I was just focusing on the wrong habitat/terrain, since I've only been seeing muleys.

My last area, this weekend, I hiked in 4 miles one way. It was fun hiking back in the dark with no moon, but I do enjoy finding those less traveled areas.

22 has a lot of overlapping, but they list some very specific areas in the whitetail section that differ from the mulie section, and for good reason... you may still see mule deer in some of those areas but not in the density you should be seeing Coues.... I have seen Mule deer just as high on Mt Ord as I have seen Coues within 1/8 of mile from one another. It is always better to get off the beaten path and that is especially true in 22 IMO.

In central Az when I don’t find Coues Deer i just look harder. It sounds overly simple but if I think they should be there I look harder till I find them