Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Which Knife Sharpener?

Yes it is a smaller belt sander basically. Wonder though if the actual belt sander is better then the worksharp? Seems knife makers use a belt sander and you can actually get into a belt sander that is cheaper then a Worksharp that has multiple uses. I'm gonna give the Harbor Freight belt sander a try. With a 20 percent off coupon its under $50 and has good reviews.

Are you guys using the standard worksharp or the Ken Onion version. Just curious as to what the difference is.

Yes it is a smaller belt sander basically. Wonder though if the actual belt sander is better then the worksharp? Seems knife makers use a belt sander and you can actually get into a belt sander that is cheaper then a Worksharp that has multiple uses. I'm gonna give the Harbor Freight belt sander a try. With a 20 percent off coupon its under $50 and has good reviews.

A standard shop belt sander would certainly sharpen a blade. I have used one to reedge wood chisels. The difference between using it and the Worksharp is getting the PROPER angle to the edge. The WS has guides to do that. With chisels, there is only a one-sided angle to worry about.

Are you guys using the standard worksharp or the Ken Onion version. Just curious as to what the difference is.

Mine is the standard one.

Belt sanders have after market guides for the exact purpose of sharpening blades to the right angles. Seriously you should look into it. I was literally getting ready to order a Work sharp and stumbled on to the videos and topic of knife sharpening. Not saying the Work Sharp is not a good item, I think its probably a great item, but with a little practice, it seems the belt sander is at minimum equal and more due to multi purpose aspect. Just my $.02

My son bought one of those harbor freight belt sanders, but the key was that he bought a set of belts specifically for sharpening - really high grit to get a nice polish. I think it even has a leather strop. I'll have to ask him where he got it. I can tell you that thing puts a razor edge on any knife in a fraction of the time my KME ever did - and much easier.

I think the Work Sharp is a great idea and more portable, but everything I've ever heard and read about them has lead me to believe they are good for getting dull knives sharp, but not so great for getting sharp knives razor sharp. Keep in mind, that's not from experience, just what I've heard.

• Like 1

I have the Ken Onion Work Sharp model which works great on kitchen knives etc. For hunting knives I'm still using Lansky (flat grind),

the Work Sharp belt creates a convex edge. If you have to touch up a convex edge on a stone you end up with a bevel.

Bought the Harbor Freight 1x30 belt sander. Bought some sharpening belts and leather strop for it. Been messing with it on and off. It definitely gets the knives hair popping sharp but there is a bit of practice to it and more of a learning curve to it then the Work Sharp. With some more time and different belts I think the knives could get even sharper then what Ive gotten them. Not that they are really needed any more sharp. Of course you could spend $900 or more on a Wicked Edge too :blink:.