Sign in to follow this  
GreyGhost85

Buck down. Story. Plus something weird

im gonna keep this one short and sweet, but there is something weird about this buck. I kicked him up opening morning when i was switching glassing spots. Gave me a pretty good look at him and my buddy and i both agreed he was a really big buck. I made a good shot with my .264 and put him down for the count. Getting down to him, his rack was nowhere near as big as we thought and thats when we realized he was about 70lbs live weight. Never seen anything like it. We took every single scrap of meat, heart and liver off of him and might have 30 lbs hanging, bone in. Just got done cleaning up his heart, tenderloins and liver when i noticed his liver is black like tar and smells awful! Not gonna eat it. Anyway, enjoy the pics. Real head scratcher. Anyone have any insight?

post-63-0-27515600-1509241033_thumb.jpeg

Liver

post-63-0-08202300-1509241069_thumb.jpeg

Hind quarter

post-63-0-32613800-1509241147_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

I wouldn't touch that liver. Catfish bait ? You might want to take the head and liver to fish and game so they can take biological samples from that one.

• Like 4

That's crazy!!!!! Congrats on killing a dwarf coues:)

• Like 3

His mom?

dwarf-deer_zpsrr2rvzsd.jpg

Come on guys the PC word is Little Deer!!!!!! Don't be so insensitive

Congrats on your buck! I've seen some rabbits with livers that looked like that, but never a deer. I was taught a black liver = parasites/sick bunny & leave it for the coyotes. Don't know if that's true or not, could've just been hand-me-down hill billy logic.

Sounds like an extreme case of liver flukes. I doubt it is CWD or Blue Tongue but I would take the liver and brain matter to G&F.

Sounds like an extreme case of liver flukes. I doubt it is CWD or Blue Tongue but I would take the liver and brain matter to G&F.

Fish and Game will want the whole head untouched, cut the head off about three to four inches back from the skull. They take a sample and give it right back to you, takes a couple minutes.