Sign in to follow this  
Alpinebullwinkle

Uncharacteristic Bull Behaviors

For the first time in over 40 years I noticed some real uncharacteristic behavior by bulls this year. On my trail cameras I noticed fairly mature 6 point bulls running with the cow herds during the summer months which I never viewed before. Also on my pictures I noticed a greater amount of these mature bulls running with the cow herds in late August and displaying interest in the ladies. Much sooner than noticed before. Two thoughts come to mind. Now that there are definitely more wolves in the woods are the bulls staying by the cows and using them as "downfield blockers" for security against these new predators? Also, it seems like the rut does not hit a peak intensity like former years the 3rd week of September. I've noticed bull interest in the ladies much sooner, and rutting behavior of less intensity, but seems longer in duration.

I have no explanation other than to wonder if due the Wallow Fire the impacts from increased wolf predation and also increased concentration of elk in less real estate and the subsequent hunter pressure...... the bulls rutting behaviors have changed since the pre-fire days. Any one else noticed these changes in the units that have had significant fires in recent years?

Saw the Elk rutting hard in Unit 1 last week. I also saw full size bulls with cows in 3b in July. I sort of think its always been that way and we are now just taking notice.

• Like 1

I didn't even get 20 words into Your post and Wolves came to mind right away...In unit one I allways thought they rut late or longer for some reason......BOB!

Saw some strange stuff too. Saw a huge bull with about 30 cows and a few satellite bulls near big lake last weekend. The cow my wife took the next day was with a herd of about 15 cows a monster bull and a few satellites. They were still bugling and the cows were chirping. In 23 on Saturday saw the same thing.

I saw a big bull (370”+) rutting hard and pushing 15 cows on saturday. Seemed a little late

I've witnessed a "late rut" a numerous times. Suspect cows that were not bred successfully in Sept. come back into estrus a month later. Young cows experiencing their 1st estrous could be "late".

Don't have a take on the wolf issue but it is plausible that bulls would hang in groups to avoid predation.

• Like 1

My buddy witnessed a nice 6x6 with several cows, bugling and chasing. Had a couple satellites bugling around him. This was near Willow Springs Lake Saturday evening.

First it is legal now so the cows born in bulls bodies can now hang out with the ladies year round. Second I shot a bull in mid October with my ML bugling his head off and walking around a bedded cow. He was not the only bull in full rut in mid October. In early archery ( Sept. 1-15 here) I have seen 6x6's herding about 30 cows, bigger bulls were solo. They were just starting to bugle. Late archery last year ( Sept. 15th-24 here) bigger bulls were solo and looking for a fight or to steal the ladies from the smaller 6x6's. They were very vocal. Never want to figure it out 100% since then hunting them would be no fun.

Not an elk story but the last couse I shot was in mid sparring with another buck and there was a doe about 15 yards off. That was the last week of October.

I've been fully aware of the second elk rut that occurs every year in October for the remaining cows that have not yet been bred in September. In fact, I can recall many years ago viewing bulls during the deer hunt the 1st week of November chasing a cow in heat. I just have never observed the pre-rut behavior noticed this year, and also the lengthened rut of seemingly less intensity during September, the last few years since the Wallow Fire.

Saw a mule deer buck acting rutty over the weekend. There were 6 or 8 does in a group but this one little buck was dogging a single doe in the group constantly. Then another small buck came up to him and he gored him in the side and started raking a bush like crazy.

I heard a lone bugle at Woods Canyon Lake Friday night. I also heard a flock of geese a little after sundown and then again at first light in the morning. As I was cooking breakfast I heard a turkey gobble about 7:15 just past the spillway. I have heard they gobble all year but that was the first time I actually heard one in the fall.