Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Dusky Blue Grouse

Been a long time coming but when I found out I drew a deer tag in a Unit where Ive seen Grouse I was pretty darn excited! I ended up taking 2 weeks off work just so I could be prepared to hunt these neat birds. Seems like every time I see one they are not in season and look so easy to take. Lots of friends see them all the time, but every time the last 4 years Ive been out hunting for them its been rough. Their breeding season is earlier in the year and after watching a couple of episodes of meateater I began doing more research on them. You can listen for them in the rut for locating birds. I have been out a couple of time and marked their location. The home territory of a Grouse is only 1-2 Acres. I tried to ask the Biologist (Jim Odell) from AZGF but he basically said good luck, spots are limited. So I had gone up before the deer hunt to hunt Grouse and scout. To be honest if I tagged a buck, it would be a bonus as the real trophy I was after was the Dusky Blue Grouse. Well I actually accomplished it and took my first Grouse before my buck which I tagged a WT a few days later.

post-2686-0-94653700-1509939378_thumb.jpeg

post-2686-0-90315400-1509939419_thumb.jpeg

• Like 13

Cool! Only unfortunate thing about them, is they taste horrible!

• Like 1

That's surprising, because the ruffed Grouse I got in Canada tasted Amazing!!!!

• Like 1

Yep, ruffed meat is very light colored and quite good-similar to a pheasant.

Dusky though is very dark and strong. Some guys swear if you can kill them when they are young and at lower elevations before they've moved up into the pines/spruce, they can be similar to a ruffed. But that hasn't been the case in my experience.

• Like 1

We will find out soon, ha ha, from what Ive heard they very tastey!!! Ill be using my smoker

Thanks guys for all the complements

• Like 2

We will find out soon, ha ha, from what Ive heard they very tastey!!! Ill be using my smoker

Thanks guys for all the complements

It will taste incredible. Ive shot truckloads of them and never had a bad one. Their meat is slightly darker then a ruffed grouse but way way lighter then a sharp tailed grouse. Just got done with a big plate of stir fry with pheasant and blue grouse mixed and cant tell the difference.

• Like 1