Sign in to follow this  
eltigre_01

Nonpermit Elk Tag

Hi all,

I have a brother-in-law who lives up past Camp Verde and his area is smack in the middle of the OTC elk hunting area. I'm sure interested in trying it out. Anyone else thinking about doing this? I know that Alamo is another area, but I couldn't imagine trying to pull one out of there.

• Like 1

I thought about it a few years back and after looking at the area boundaries around Camp Verde decided not to do it. You are pretty limited on where you get to hunt. It's something I might be willing to try some year when I didn't have other tags myself or wasn't helping friends out with their tags.

• Like 1

I thought about it a few years back and after looking at the area boundaries around Camp Verde decided not to do it. You are pretty limited on where you get to hunt. It's something I might be willing to try some year when I didn't have other tags myself or wasn't helping friends out with their tags.

The area is very tight, I will agree with you on that, especially with all of the private lands and a number of roads everywhere in the unit. Not much wilderness and quiet.

When they started the hunt, there were a number of elk in there. My hunting friend that lives in Camp Verde and spends a lot of time in the outdoors said they pretty much slaughtered all of the local elk. You would just have to get lucky that something would move in at some time from what I hear.

• Like 1

Yes it was a draw tag that nobody put in for. I did put in for it and used to be a ton of elk after a fire long time back. Elk found the river and farms and got cozy

The draw tags were not enough to push them out of town so the made it otc to help farmers and that it did! The elk got the fear off broadheads put in them and most scooted out of town. You pretty much gotta be local and be in right place at right time now or hunt the very edge of the unit for better results. Some big bulls were killed there back 10-15 years ago that is what got everyone's attention. I hunted it multiple times when it was draw tag and never killed but I always had cow tags and of course always had opportunity on bulls right up in my face. Friends that live there killed quite a few.

• Like 1