Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Hunting Motivation FUNK!!

No one else got drawn and my brother and I picked up a left over down south unit again for WT. A unit we hunted before and had good success. But I had no time into prep, never really thought of the hunt and wasn't excited to really go. Plus my other brother bailed on us. The day we were leaving I told my wife Im not in the mood to go hunt this unit, nor even being excited. I don't mind hunting by myself for a day, or just hunting with another partner and staying at a cabin, or hotel. But this was the first time just only 2 of us in a camp. You just end up sitting there for a few hours at camp and go to bed. My brother complained about getting tired of hunting down south in the desert and has never hunted deer in the pines and want to try something new. Then you don't have anyone to talk to at lunch time, except the same brother and then again at night its a lot of down time.

I don't know what my problem is but I did discover Im a social hunter! I can hunt by myself during the day no prob but really enjoy heading back to camp and talking hunt with the other guys. Told my brother if its just the 2 of us again we are staying near home, or getting a hotel to kill the down time with a hot shower and HBO. If we don't have access to that we need a min of 3 hunters so I don't get into this funk!!

Do other guys have this problem or do I just need to man up????

• Like 1

There is always the nightlife in Nogales, Mex. it's only a stone throw away. We used to frequent it back in the early 90's and always made a long hard hunt more enjoyable!!!!!!

Sounds like you need to develop a multiple personality disorder.

• Like 1

Well it sounds like its just me!!!!! ha ha ha

this happened to me this year with my deer hunt too. I had an archery elk tag and all my effort went into that. The deer hunt was so far off the radar and in a unit I really didn't want to hunt. We made the best of it and had an opportunity on a nice buck but he gave us the slip.

• Like 1

Never really had that problem. My hunting partner and I used to work together so we had a week at camp to bitch about our ole ladys and such, if that wasnt enough we got drunk and talked about girlfriends! Haha!! But now we work at different places and have plenty to talk about! Im sure we repeat a few or more stories from the past but its still plenty of camp company I cant say Ive ever hunted with a bad camping partner? Bad hunter... yes. But never a bad camper. Ive camped with a few guys on this site and day hunted with a few as well. Never a bad experience. But I do understand where your coming from. When your used to a group camp and only have two guys it kinda dissapoints a guy. Hunting is my only vacation during the year, I make the most of it no matter what.

• Like 2

Yeah, ive never been concerned about the couple hours in the evening after the hunt. Im usually so exhausted, all i wanna do is eat a quick dinner and crash. Hunt harder so you dont care about the after hunt rituals. Im there to hunt, not just go on a camp out with friends. You can do that the other 51 weeks in a year

• Like 9

Too me camping and hunting are two different things. Some guys like to do it that way but not me. I don't want to have to worry about making dinner and getting other stuff done every night. I'd rather drive an hour or so every night and morning. Obviously that's not the case for every hunt but I prefer it.

• Like 1

I do prefer to have at least one person in camp with me, and really like it when we have a full camp. I have a brother that likes to hunt just as much or me than me, so I always have someone to go with. I do hunt solo a lot, but I've never not had someone to camp with.