Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Hunting Motivation FUNK!!

I don’t have a lot of buddies that hunt but the couple I do go with I consider to be very high quality people and enjoy their company very much, so I don’t personally need more than that. I also am greatly appreciate my ‘me time’ and have no issue spending a week or more on my own with nothing more than a book and a campfire for company.

I think some of my most enjoyable hunts have been solo backpacking trips. Love the feeling of being all alone out there

• Like 6

Zeke-Be I get the funk. I hunt solo a bunch and it really doesn't matter if is 2 days or 2 weeks it sometimes sucks when You don't have good buddy to enjoy the time with. At 45years of age for me I'm totally fine with hotels or cabins. I'm also fine with sleeping in a day or skipping a hunt or 2 if I'm on 2 week solo hunt. I Have bull elk tag in 4 days and Have not packed 1 thing and might end up just going next week for few days. Part of it i think is priorities like I get there and think a bout what I should be doing, part of it are things on your mind that won't allow you to relax

I do miss being 20 and fishing and hiking or hunting each day with no other cares

Zeke-Be I get the funk. I hunt solo a bunch and it really doesn't matter if is 2 days or 2 weeks it sometimes sucks when You don't have good buddy to enjoy the time with. At 45years of age for me I'm totally fine with hotels or cabins. I'm also fine with sleeping in a day or skipping a hunt or 2 if I'm on 2 week solo hunt. I Have bull elk tag in 4 days and Have knot packed 1 thing and might end up just going next week for few days. Part of it i think is priorities like I get there and think a bout what I should be doing, part of it are things on your mind that won't allow you to relax

I do miss being 20 and fishing and hiking or hunting each day with no other cares

Ha ha ha! Yep that can sound like me at times, and other times Im totally into it depending on whats going on in life. I own a business and sometimes its annoying I have to drop everything when things need to get done for a vacation, or a hunt. If I let work get to busy I forget about simple common hunts. If its a big deal like a bull elk hunt, Kaibab hunt, antelope hunt Im more focus on that then trying to get my job done ha ha. But I know people who don't care about their jobs and met workers who would be ok in losing their job just so they can go on their hunt (if that had to be a choice). People are wired different, some like company, some like to be alone, some want a challenge, some don't care about priorities, and I see myself right in the middle of all this most of the time.

• Like 1

I am a social hunter as well. I am to the point in life where I want to "share" my experiences, not just HAVE an experience.I have done plenty of solo hunts and they were very special, but now I would prefer to come back to camp and have people there. I would PREFER to have someone hunting WITH me as well. I feel your pain.

• Like 2

I really enjoy and mostly prefer to hunt by myself. Hunting with my kids is special and I wish they would hunt more but their schedules and priorities are not the same as mine. I do quite a few solo hunts but I will admit it is kind of nice to share a fire with friends and family at night. As it is I usually just eat, restock my pack and then go straight to bed.

One of my biggest complaints hunting with others is that they are not on the same nap schedule as me. I usually like to take a good nap late morning and I don't like worrying about what others think or do.

• Like 1

I really enjoy and mostly prefer to hunt by myself. Hunting with my kids is special and I wish they would hunt more but their schedules and priorities are not the same as mine. I do quite a few solo hunts but I will admit it is kind of nice to share a fire with friends and family at night. As it is I usually just eat, restock my pack and then go straight to bed.

One of my biggest complaints hunting with others is that they are not on the same nap schedule as me. I usually like to take a good nap late morning and I don't like worrying about what others think or do.

Yep same scheduled would help out and everyone is different

Well my first spot just had some mule deer doe so I moved a few miles later that day and hunted it the next morning. About an hour after sunrise I glassed up a buck, small 4x4 mulie. Then a short time later a couple of mulie doe about 140 yards odd and then a small mulie doe at about 500 yards.

I know their areas overlap so I stuck around and finally glassed up a coues doe with a weird white fuzzy tail. I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't so hot and the stinking fighter jets would have not been flying overnight until 3AM. Camped next to a couple of guys who had their sons with them for the first few day and managed a couple of small bucks for them but they hadn't seen any other bucks and hunted a few miles from me and said they were running into mule deer quite a bit too.

I enjoy camping with others but still push hard on the hunt. If they get back to camp early and want to hang out and drink beer they'll be alone. I will hunt from sunup to sun down and be back at camp after dark.

On my wife's hunt we camped with 6 other people. They only hunted first light and early evenings, and none of them harvested. We did. Like others said the serious hunters will still be successful. They more or less were out there to camp and drink, then all complain when they didn't kill anything.

I am in the opposite boat. I use to hunt with a group then my dad quit hunting and my uncle also quit hunting and passed a few years ago. I have solo hunted for the last 10 years. I am all about the hunts because it is not just about the present but the past. You can better understand when I post on Saturday on my birthday. I love to hunt with my daughters but the hunt is all about them, I go archery hunting solo by myself for 2 weeks. Every few days I will go to get cell service or video chat with the wife and kids over the web. The thing I like about solo hunting is nobody else is counting on me. If I am far from camp I can just camp out in the woods and nobody is worrying. If I feel like sleeping in, I do. I am on my own time schedule.

• Like 3