Sign in to follow this  
Coues Archer

Another Mature Desert Muley

So before opening day I backpacked my way into a remote part of the unit. In there I spotted a monster 4x4, definitely a 180+ buck. With him were 9 different bucks. All of which were good size! I set up camp within 3/4 mile of where these bucks were hanging out. Opening morning I set up and start spotting without seeing a deer in sight... That night happened to be super windy and the bucks moved to a totally different area to get away from the wind. So there I was playing the cat mouse game again, funny how these big bucks operate. Its never easy to pattern these guys! Just when you think you have hunch of what theyll do, they end up doing the opposite. Love chasing these buggers. So I crept my way into where they were the day before. I then tracked which area the bucks had gone. Turned out they went into the deepest nastiest canyons in the area. I was tracking them when I noticed the wind changed going strait towards the tracks.... Not Good....Being bad wind I changed my game plan and decided to hike to the peek across where there tracks went into. Once up there not more than 30 mins later I found 8 bucks bedded down. But NOT the monster 4x4 I was after. Bummer! So what do I do, I have a monster 3x3 almost 30 wide in perfect shooting position. Do I pass him or kill the big 3... I literally sat there puzzled for like 20 mins trying to decide. Ive been hunting long enough to never pass up a shooter on the first day. So I decided to go after the big 3! I stalk up and close the distance taking full advantage of the heavy wind. Closed the distance to 200 yards and let Bertha aka My 7mm rem mag take care of the rest. Nailed him first shot, dropped immediately! Thank the Lord for another awesome year of hunting!

post-2606-0-86632500-1510976360_thumb.jpeg

post-2606-0-42343700-1510976386_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14

Killer buck! You've got a great spot there. I really liked how you hunted and tracked them - that takes a skilled hunter. Huge congrats.

Thats a nice problem to have! Congrats

Awesome!