varnco

7E late rifle

I have the Dec 1 tag, and thought we would get some snow by now, but it's been pretty dry and warm.

Thought on the impact it will have? I was expecting some snow by now, driving them down a bit, not sure now.

Going to head out for one more scout after Thanksgiving.

Warm weather

No rain

No snow

Upcoming full moon

Did a tough hunt just get tougher?

NOAA's forecast discussion this morning said they do not expect any precip for at least 10 days. It will be 70 here in Flagstaff by the end of the week. I would concentrate on areas around water if sitting does not bore you to death.

NOAA's forecast discussion this morning said they do not expect any precip for at least 10 days. It will be 70 here in Flagstaff by the end of the week. I would concentrate on areas around water if sitting does not bore you to death.

Thanks. I've scouted up there 4x, expecting there to be snow by now, and perhaps them pushed down, so I've been scouting the N and West side of the unit most. Going up with my buddy this weekend to scout out the east/south side of the unit this weekend, since the temps are still so high and no snow to push them down. I figure all the hunts likely pushed them up, which is the wilderness/more mountainous area, on the east side of the peaks.

Im leaving in the morning- spending two days on the ground. Still looks dry I think.

Im leaving in the morning- spending two days on the ground. Still looks dry I think.

As dry as a firecracker! Flagstaff broke a record yesterday with 71*

Hard to believe December is right around the corner!

Just scouted today. Lower elevation tanks on the north east side are bone dry... Looks like they've been dry for months.

Whole area is dry...tons of dry tanks and hi temps. I am guessing they are still high.

Well, I am stumped.

This past Friday's scouting, I didn't see a single Elk nor Deer - just older scat, hoof marks and bone dry tanks on the West/Northwest side of the unit (west of 89)

I am going up Wed & Thu to continue scouting before opening day on Friday.

They're in there somewhere...

Find water, you will find elk nearby.

Even though I took a bull opening day, my 7Ee hunt was very frustrating up until that time. 26 full days of scouting. I bet 50% of those days Undid not see a single elk. And only a very few bulls worth looking at.

Theres water. A lot of it is trucked in for the tanks in big black cisterns. A lot of the tricks are empty but some stil have water.. Problem is most of the tanks I found water in are directly in the road. With 550 tags in the unit, not only do we have to find elk, but avoid other hunters. Sitting water will work, until someone drivers right through. I did about 60 miles of dirt and saw 2 deer and a coyote.

Fact.

I am going up Wed to 7E.

For sure lots of hunters + little water equals a giant cluster&ck from opening day until the weather switch. If that affects anything.

Well, I scouted hard as I could, fact is we as hunters will have to spread out and find the holdouts, or cluster up on the holes.

I think the approaching weather on the weekend after opening day will put all plans in the blender. Just my opinion!

Jeff

Up here now in 7e on the east side, near 89, for one final scouting session and to check a couple of cameras placed last week.

Hoping for the best and thank you to everyone with their thoughts and tips.

• Like 1

Oh, my goodness. What a zoo. Tons of people ignoring dispersed camping area rules, trucks and side by sides by the dozens, complete disregard of closed road rules, I did not expect this at this level.

It's like Walmart on black Friday up here. Even hiking off the road, we run into people. And trucks.

Is this normal? I need to reassess what hunts I put in for. This is ridiculous.

Jeff

It seems like nearly all hunts are getting like this. You should have seen the 7 deer hunt with over 1000 tags. I was in there this morning setting traps and there were a ton of people out. Just keep at it, hunt harder than the rest and you'll get it done. Saw a big herd in Schultz at sunrise yesterday hitting water and saw a really nice bull out in the juniper flats this morning. They are there.

Monday should be much better.

7W has 700 tags. We have run into very few idiots willing to go where we are hunting. Saw 4 big bulls this morning, but 4 hours of grueling hiking put us just shy of getting a shot opportunity.