Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Bear with pistol?

I missed a cinnamon bear with my .45 Win Mag pistol, I'm sure it would have put it down if I'd hit it.

I have shot 3 deer , 8 javs and numerous coyotes and fox with my .357 revolver. I usually carry a 30-06 when I hunt bears. I have not shot one. I would say a 41 or 44 mag at very, very lose range in steady hands.

• Like 1

Buffalo Bore website has good info. From my understanding, the pistol better be shooting a hard cast bullet. For defense, a pathetic caliber re: bear, like 9mm and 38, can work, at times, with a hard cast bullet, according to the BuffaloBore info. I am more confident with a .41 or .44, and maybe a 357 with right loads for all, when out in the backcountry. Had encounters with lions a lion and bears, unarmed at the time, and now like the chance to live with the above calibers. BTW, I practice shooting quickly, 1 second or so, at a target that mimics a bear's head as he comes in. A bit paranoid, maybe, but it is fun.

• Like 1

I did it with a .45 to his head this year. Didn't move a muscle. I was like 15 yards from him and he wasn't moving so I had time to make a good shot. Can't imagine trying to get one off in the right spot with him running at me.

• Like 1

I did it with a .45 to his head this year. Didn't move a muscle. I was like 15 yards from him and he wasn't moving so I had time to make a good shot. Can't imagine trying to get one off in the right spot with him running at me.

I had an opportunity for that- I had my 45 with the buffalo bore. I was glassing one side of the hill and my son with a deer tag (I had the bear tag) had the other about 15 yards the other direction. He had the rifle.

Suddenly my binocs were filled with black fur. I dropped the glasses and a huge black bear had walked about 15 yard in front of me- and he didn't see the boy either. I had the pistol trained on him but if I had shot, and he didn't go down, and happened to see my son.. could've been bad.

He passed on- you should have seen my sons face when he finally saw it walk by.

As far as actively hunting them? Like going out and looking for them? I wouldn't go out with anything smaller than a .44

Once you get that close you kinda get it.

• Like 1

I've been in on two bear kills where hunters (I was one of them) tried to kill treed bears with .357 handguns. My friend's bear was a small one and took three hits in the chest from about 15-20 feet below and wouldn't die until I handed my friend his .30-06. My bear was a big old boar and took five hits in the chest from about the same angle and distance. It roared at each shot, but would not die until I borrowed Jim Belion's .44 mag and blew it out of the tree.

We didn't inspect my buddy's bear closely, but I was curious how my bear could survive five chest shots from the .357. It's been a long time, but I seem to remember finding three bullets lodged in fat, stopped before they could reach the lungs/heart area. Don't remember what happened with the other two shots, but the .44 mag wound channel went clear through that bear, breaking the spine along the way.

We were hunting with hounds on the peaks above Flagstaff and I carried only that .357. It was a poor choice.

My recommendation, get a larger caliber or take only brain shots.

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

I shot one in a nasty canyon thought he was dead. He wasn't just the back end paralyzed and I shot him in the chest at 5 yards with my kimber ultra carry .45 he died within 15 seconds.

Also shot a lion in the lungs at 10 yards and again about 10 feet in the chest as he was coming out of the tree right at me.

Same gun.

Unique experience shooting that close

• Like 2

I put a an arrow through the side of the skull on one. I would not hesitate at all to go after one with a .357, .40. .45 or more powerful pistol. If you screw up the first shot you can re-aim and pull the trigger again a whole lot faster than you can knock another arrow.

post-15248-0-00334200-1515910106_thumb.jpg

• Like 2