Smokers

41 replies to this topic

#1 cjl2010

cjl2010

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
Guys I need some help. I cant decide between a pellet, electric, or gas smoker. Can anybody explain the pros and cons? I like the pellet idea because it doesnt need to be babied all day and I like the idea of buiktbin meat probes. Any advise?

#2 swoods205

swoods205

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, being outdoors

i have a electric pellet smoker and love it. Very easy to use.  it keeps the temps pretty constant. If you use the meat probe thermometer you won't have to baby it, but i recommend keeping an eye on your pellets.  Sometimes they burn faster than expected or bunch up and have to be pushed down to your feeder but your probes should alarm you if your temperature starts dropping. Not much better than smoked meat!   I am by no means even close to an expert and I haven't been able to screw it up yet so its very user friendly! 

#3 HuntHarder

HuntHarder

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

I have had a Traeger for 3+ years, and they are great.  They require little maintenance and very little attention while cooking. I can't really help you decide between the 3 different types, but the Traeger works well for me.   

#4 bigorange

bigorange

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
One more vote for pellet...Traeger specifically. I’m still learning all it can do, but love it so far.
A bad day hunting is better than a good day doing just about anything else...

#5 duckhunter175

duckhunter175

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Interests:Deer, turkey and esp bird hunting, training my GSP, shooting, skeet

+2 on the Traeger.  Maintenance is easy, replacing parts if needed is easy and it will make you look like a pro. I picked up a 34 pro from an estate sale-- they were moving into assisted living-- I replaced the internal thermometer and the wiring for the auger unit and she runs like a champ. My first try at brisket and ribs were out of this world good.  Plus its much more useful than an upright smoker. 

#6 bigorange

bigorange

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
I should have added...to answer the specific questions posed I like that the Traeger is super easy to use and doesn’t have to be babied. Not quite “set it and forget it” but pretty close. You do have to keep an eye on the pellets but so far very easy and everything I’ve done on it has been great. Burgers and veggies on it last night for dinner...it’s not just a smoker.
A bad day hunting is better than a good day doing just about anything else...

#7 Millhouse

Millhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
I too have a Treager. Love it. I recommend buying one size bigger than you like you will need....

Id also look at the Green Mountains as well

#8 rossislider

rossislider

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts
I'm a bit old school and still use a traditional wood smoker with logs from a local wood supplier. There was a much steeper learning curve with it than the others you mentioned. But once I get my fire going and stabilized, I can go for at least 10-12 hours without touching it and keep my temperature within 5 degrees. I started smoking long before pellet grills were a thing. Every now and then I contemplate upgrading to a newer version, probably a RecTec. But ultimately I am too cheap and take some pride in doing it the traditional way.

#9 Vowell

Vowell

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Predator Hunting, Fly Fishing, Reloading
Pellet pellet pellet, so easy and fun!!!!

"Courage is being scared to death..... and saddling up anyway"

“A man ought to do what he thinks is right”

John Wayne

#10 Vowell

Vowell

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Predator Hunting, Fly Fishing, Reloading
2 accessories you will need

6EA44B90-A8A3-4F08-B551-97A9844918B9.png

0D23877D-B4AE-4EBB-BF34-1815F92DFEC4.png

"Courage is being scared to death..... and saddling up anyway"

“A man ought to do what he thinks is right”

John Wayne

#11 cjl2010

cjl2010

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
I like the idea of the pellet gills but I have a nice gas grill already. I was looking for a vertical pellet smoker and the only one I am finding is from cabelas built by masterbuilt and its huge and expensive!!

#12 CatfishKev

CatfishKev

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors Enthusiest
I have an electric smoker which is fine for smoking but like stated above the pellet smokers grill and bake as well. You can get some deals right now too. I'm thinking about losing the grill and electric smoker and just get a pellet grill.

#13 muledeerarea33?

muledeerarea33?

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts
Im with Ross. Wood smoking for me. My first gas grill was this year. The pellet deal seems like a good choice though! If I ever went away from wood thats the way Id go.

#14 wildwoody

wildwoody

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts
  • Interests:hunting , fishing, outdoor sports, and helping others

I love my electric smoker, set it and forget it, just picked one up for brother in law, only $99 at Walmart. try it you'll love it

#15 cjl2010

cjl2010

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
Do you notice it on your electric bill?

How long do chips last?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users