Sign in to follow this  
cjl2010

Smokers

Guys I need some help. I cant decide between a pellet, electric, or gas smoker. Can anybody explain the pros and cons? I like the pellet idea because it doesnt need to be babied all day and I like the idea of buiktbin meat probes. Any advise?

I have had a Traeger for 3+ years, and they are great. They require little maintenance and very little attention while cooking. I can't really help you decide between the 3 different types, but the Traeger works well for me.

• Like 3

+2 on the Traeger. Maintenance is easy, replacing parts if needed is easy and it will make you look like a pro. I picked up a 34 pro from an estate sale-- they were moving into assisted living-- I replaced the internal thermometer and the wiring for the auger unit and she runs like a champ. My first try at brisket and ribs were out of this world good. Plus its much more useful than an upright smoker.

• Like 1

I should have added...to answer the specific questions posed I like that the Traeger is super easy to use and doesn’t have to be babied. Not quite “set it and forget it” but pretty close. You do have to keep an eye on the pellets but so far very easy and everything I’ve done on it has been great. Burgers and veggies on it last night for dinner...it’s not just a smoker.

• Like 1

I too have a Treager. Love it. I recommend buying one size bigger than you like you will need....

Id also look at the Green Mountains as well

I'm a bit old school and still use a traditional wood smoker with logs from a local wood supplier. There was a much steeper learning curve with it than the others you mentioned. But once I get my fire going and stabilized, I can go for at least 10-12 hours without touching it and keep my temperature within 5 degrees. I started smoking long before pellet grills were a thing. Every now and then I contemplate upgrading to a newer version, probably a RecTec. But ultimately I am too cheap and take some pride in doing it the traditional way.

• Like 3

I like the idea of the pellet gills but I have a nice gas grill already. I was looking for a vertical pellet smoker and the only one I am finding is from cabelas built by masterbuilt and its huge and expensive!!

• Like 1

I have an electric smoker which is fine for smoking but like stated above the pellet smokers grill and bake as well. You can get some deals right now too. I'm thinking about losing the grill and electric smoker and just get a pellet grill.

I love my electric smoker, set it and forget it, just picked one up for brother in law, only $99 at Walmart. try it you'll love it

Wood smoker and pellet smoker both use wood to heat and smoke. Only difference is a wood you have to babysit and pellet takes 99% of the babysitting away.