Sign in to follow this  
high rise hunter

Southern AZ Weather Expectations

Fellas-

I'm new to the forum and also brand new to coues deer hunting. I've been trying to figure out is what sort of temperature swings I can expect on this first coues deer hunt and would really appreciate any input/insight. I'll be hunting early January and most likely the highest elevation will be around 6500 feet, lows maybe around 4500.

I'm from the midwest so no stranger to cold weather, I just want to make sure I pack appropriately and being an ultralight, camp-on-back junkie I count every ounce and probably over analyze my gear. :rolleyes: Anyways, I'm super pumped to get down there for another adventure hunt, explore some new territory and chase the infamous grey ghost!

Teens to 80s is QUITE the swing. Definitely more than I had anticipated so I very much appreciate the responses. If I'm moving I'll have zero issue staying warm even in single digits, early morning and late afternoon glassing sessions even a for a Windy City guy I'll have to bundle up. I'm leaning towards some down layers for insulation. Probably pack Patagonia Nano Puff Pants (I got these for a Northern MN winter camping trip last year and they were bombproof/unreal warm) and I need to find something I for a jacket. I don't have anything I love. Any recommendations? Any Kuiu Super Down users? I'm all ears.

Thank you guys!

It can vary a lot depending on where you are hunting as well. Did you have an area or unit in mind? It's cool to see out of state guys plan on trips out here. Be careful one visit might get you hooked and you will want to leave Chicago in the rear view. I'm from PA and have no desire to go back. I love it here.

Teens to 80s is QUITE the swing. Definitely more than I had anticipated so I very much appreciate the responses. If I'm moving I'll have zero issue staying warm even in single digits, early morning and late afternoon glassing sessions even a for a Windy City guy I'll have to bundle up. I'm leaning towards some down layers for insulation. Probably pack Patagonia Nano Puff Pants (I got these for a Northern MN winter camping trip last year and they were bombproof/unreal warm) and I need to find something I for a jacket. I don't have anything I love. Any recommendations? Any Kuiu Super Down users? I'm all ears.

Thank you guys!

Those are potential lows to potential highs depending on where you are. Best thing to do is track the weather for cities close to where you will be. "Typical" daily temp swings are 30 degrees but sometimes can be 35. In higher elevations it might just be 20 degrees one day but still upwards of a 30 degree swing the next day. We have been unusually dry since September and there really isn't much rain or snow forcast in the near future.

I am REALLY looking forward to this trip! I'm headed down January 6th then participating in the AZ G&F bonus point field day that Sunday in Bisbee. Immediately following the field day I'm headed back up towards Tuscon to hunt Unit 33. Also just found out there are leftover archery-only Javelina tags so definitely going to scoop one of those up.

I've been watching the weather forecast for Tucson and also found this really cool website www.mountain-forcast.com that gives you temperature readings at different elevations for certain peaks. For example, right around Tucson: Mount Lemmon, Mount Bigelow, Thimble Peak and Pusch Ridge are included.

If lows are in the 30s that sounds mighty comfy for this guy!

That is usually some of the coldest days in January. Mule deer will be in the Rut with Coues just starting, snow is a possibility with night time temps at 32 or less the norm.

Did you call G&F to verify the leftovers? They started giving them out via mail in apps on this past Monday.

Last year I got chased out early due to 70 mph winds and 12" of snow in mid January at 6,000 feet so be prepared. Arctic shield overboots work good when it gets cold if you plan to do any sitting. I have a Kuiu Teton insulated jacket that I love too. Like they said it can warm up fast so the good news is it's not cold for all that long.

• Like 1

Here's a couple weather sites I use. They seem pretty accurate.

In the left column, of the MesoWest site, click the "Network" drop down and select "All Networks"

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/mesomap.cgi?state=AZ&rawsflag=3

In the National Weather Service site, you can zoom in/out, and pan to click on a pinpoint location.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-110.63306137841647&lat=32.33066420709022#.WiBhSEqnFEY

I like the Kuiu Super down. I have the older version. It is warm, especially under an outer shell. They made improvements to the new version. They also have a new, warmer one too.

Layering is key to staying comfortable as the weather/temps change.

That is usually some of the coldest days in January. Mule deer will be in the Rut with Coues just starting, snow is a possibility with night time temps at 32 or less the norm.

Did you call G&F to verify the leftovers? They started giving them out via mail in apps on this past Monday.

I meant to call the G&F this morning but of course when I had time and was thinking about it the West was still asleep. I'll definitely be giving them a call tomorrow morning. The G&F website has a list posted from November 27th that says 458 leftover permits remaining. I have no idea how fast these sell out so fingers crossed. I'll overnight an application if thats what it takes!

It's really neat these AZ OTC deer tags are good for either a coues or a muley. I plan to focus on coues but that said, if I see a muley buck I fall in love with...game on!

• Like 1