Sign in to follow this  
high rise hunter

Southern AZ Weather Expectations

Last year I got chased out early due to 70 mph winds and 12" of snow in mid January at 6,000 feet so be prepared. Arctic shield overboots work good when it gets cold if you plan to do any sitting. I have a Kuiu Teton insulated jacket that I love too. Like they said it can warm up fast so the good news is it's not cold for all that long.

That sounds BRUTAL. Did you drop down to hunt lower elevation or call it quits all together?

I was looking at the Kuiu Teton Insulated jacket. I'm glad to hear that your like it and it must be warm. That's a good endorsement. My only concern with it was the lack of packability/compression compared to a down-filled jacket.

Also I see your a cheesehead. GPG! I'm a born and raised Wisconsinite myself.

I like the Kuiu Super down. I have the older version. It is warm, especially under an outer shell. They made improvements to the new version. They also have a new, warmer one too.

Layering is key to staying comfortable as the weather/temps change.

I really like those weather forecast sources. I already added those to my "favorites" so thank you for sending those my way.

So I'm going to guess that the Kuiu Super Down you have in now the ULTRA line? The super down PRO is the new one. I want to ask you a question. For my style of hunting I carry everything with me all the time. I like to be able to camp where ever I end up at the end of the day and hopefully wake up and be that much closer to the mornings action. I'm a huge nerd when it comes to ultralight gear and keeping my pack weight to a minimum so much that I forgo bringing a stove and will plan a 100% dry food menu. Have you found your Kuiu super down to be adequately warm enough as an outer layer? I ask because the ULTRA is 6.4 oz vs 13.4 for the PRO. I'm curious if the PRO's additional warmth is really needed for double the weight cost.

That is usually some of the coldest days in January. Mule deer will be in the Rut with Coues just starting, snow is a possibility with night time temps at 32 or less the norm.

Did you call G&F to verify the leftovers? They started giving them out via mail in apps on this past Monday.

Well unfortunately those leftover Javelina tags are long gone. I really had a mental lapse. I should have applied for the tag knowing I was going to be in 33 coues hunting already but instead I just put in for the bonus point :rolleyes:

Glass if half full... now I have an excuse to come back next season :D

• Like 1

Since you will be close for the field day you should check out 35A and 30B. Im pretty close and could show you some of the area if you want.

• Like 1

Check the weather ahead of time, and layer accordingly. Most days will be chilly at first light, then warm up significantly with the sun. You'll likely only need down layers for the first and last hour of hunting. Also, know that there are LOTS of prickly things that will tear up your down in the desert (even at 4500+ feet). I pack the Kuiu super down and never wear it on the outside unless I'm sitting. I was down there before T'giving, probably my 30th hunt in that neighborhood. Took me about 10 minutes to run square into a prickly pear!

#1 DO NOT RELY ON WEATHER CASTS !!!

#2 January on an MTN in southern Arizona , weather conditions can change several times a day- hunting the east slopes and you'll not even see it coming till u get hit, when weather turns bad, I've camped in the catalinas seveal times just n. of Tucson in January night times can easily be below freezing not counting windchill factors

#3 The main thing to not do -is packin to far - thinking of going the extra mile to get away., can get you in serious troubles.

I'm not sure how much hunting you've done where your from or if you have experience in high desert terrain - let along mountain hunts. what shows 1 or 2 miles on google earth - looks simple - easy in can be steep, treacherous even inaccessible from on the ground.

#4 what I think is the most important - staying hydrated - most think its not hot summer weather I can get by without extra water - bring something to filter water ! Carring water at 8lbs a gallon usually isn't a lot of fun . easpecially if u need extra for campimg- cooking.

I have no doubts your a capable hiker -camper - hunter etc. do not forget gps I even get those extra phone battery rechargers -they'll recharge your phone several times if needed .

#5 think about when you are successful. getting any animal off a mtn and back to your camp or vehicle can take several days depending on terrain and location too! It's not like dragging a deer thru the woods back to your truck. -how you gonna keep, it from spoiling - your packed in 3 miles - no ice chest .

#6 Camping close to someone and communicating your plans for hunting has its advantages too!

#7 last but should actually be #1 best bino's you can afford 12x minimum

Good Luck Enjoy your trip and your hunting experience here in Arizona. One can never over think a trip or preparations. even asking if others here maybe hunting in the area!

Since you will be close for the field day you should check out 35A and 30B. Im pretty close and could show you some of the area if you want.

I may have to take you up on this and much appreciate the offer! It would be REALLY fun to do some exploring (at least for me) and trade some hunting stories.

I'll let you when I get my schedule all figured out. Things are in a little bit of a whirlwind since I'm headed to Asia for 3 weeks in-between now and January 6th :wacko:

Check the weather ahead of time, and layer accordingly. Most days will be chilly at first light, then warm up significantly with the sun. You'll likely only need down layers for the first and last hour of hunting. Also, know that there are LOTS of prickly things that will tear up your down in the desert (even at 4500+ feet). I pack the Kuiu super down and never wear it on the outside unless I'm sitting. I was down there before T'giving, probably my 30th hunt in that neighborhood. Took me about 10 minutes to run square into a prickly pear!

Haha! Very easy for an outsider to overlook all those thorns. Great tip though. It would definitely be a bummer to tear apart a $400 jacket on its first hunt.

#1 DO NOT RELY ON WEATHER CASTS !!!

#2 January on an MTN in southern Arizona , weather conditions can change several times a day- hunting the east slopes and you'll not even see it coming till u get hit, when weather turns bad, I've camped in the catalinas seveal times just n. of Tucson in January night times can easily be below freezing not counting windchill factors

#3 The main thing to not do -is packin to far - thinking of going the extra mile to get away., can get you in serious troubles.

I'm not sure how much hunting you've done where your from or if you have experience in high desert terrain - let along mountain hunts. what shows 1 or 2 miles on google earth - looks simple - easy in can be steep, treacherous even inaccessible from on the ground.

#4 what I think is the most important - staying hydrated - most think its not hot summer weather I can get by without extra water - bring something to filter water ! Carring water at 8lbs a gallon usually isn't a lot of fun . easpecially if u need extra for campimg- cooking.

I have no doubts your a capable hiker -camper - hunter etc. do not forget gps I even get those extra phone battery rechargers -they'll recharge your phone several times if needed .

#5 think about when you are successful. getting any animal off a mtn and back to your camp or vehicle can take several days depending on terrain and location too! It's not like dragging a deer thru the woods back to your truck. you mentioned javelin tag - ok you get one first day -how you gonna keep, it from spoiling - your packed in 3 miles - no ice chest . Are you going to keep hunting -stay on the mtn ?

#6 Camping close to someone and communicating your plans for hunting has its advantages too!

#7 last but should actually be #1 best bino's you can afford 12x minimum

Good Luck Enjoy your trip and your hunting experience here in Arizona. One can never over think a trip or preparations. even asking if others here maybe hunting in the area!

Very much appreciated elkaholic!

I'm far from a seasoned veteran to Western hunting but confident in my abilities and know my limitations. I definitely feel I've done a good job with my research and planning thus far. OnX maps is marked up, got the Delorme InReach Explorer packed (in case of emergency), sawyer water filter, back-up water tablets, solar charger ANNNNND just received in the mail yesterday a new pair of Vortex 15x binos ;)

I'll make sure to update the thread with a short synopsis of my hunt and if I'm lucky a picture of coues buck to show.

Thank you MUCH for the heads up! I had called the AZ Game and Fish the other day and was told those tags specifically were gone/sold out. Clearly I got the wrong information or it was a case of misinterpretation. Either way, I've overnighting an application today.

Last year I got chased out early due to 70 mph winds and 12" of snow in mid January at 6,000 feet so be prepared. Arctic shield overboots work good when it gets cold if you plan to do any sitting. I have a Kuiu Teton insulated jacket that I love too. Like they said it can warm up fast so the good news is it's not cold for all that long.

That sounds BRUTAL. Did you drop down to hunt lower elevation or call it quits all together?

I was looking at the Kuiu Teton Insulated jacket. I'm glad to hear that your like it and it must be warm. That's a good endorsement. My only concern with it was the lack of packability/compression compared to a down-filled jacket.

Also I see your a cheesehead. GPG! I'm a born and raised Wisconsinite myself.

It would have been my last day so I left early, but be aware it can happen! I don't have a KUIU down but all the down I've owned in the past seem more compressible under outer clothing than synthetic thus not be as warm. The Teton jacket is also quiet and not entirely windproof which means it breaths very well. It packs small too, in fact I take it with me when I'm backpack elk hunting as my main insulating layer.

Go Pack go!

That's a great observation about the down compressing more than the synthetic thus providing little warmth factor. The Teton seems to be well reviewed. I've been reading a few other reviews online and the price seems darn reasonable.

Speaking of the Pack...not all hope is lost. We should be able to beat Cleveland this weekend with Hundley THEN we get Rodgers back. If he can lead us to three straight victories and close out the season at 10-6 we may be able to sneak into one of those wildcard playoff spots. FINGERS CROSSED!

• Like 1

I can show you some places in the easterly part of 33. Might not be able to hunt with you but can give you areas and maybe drive out with you. Deer and javi if you get that tag. Bring a shotgun too, dove and quail is open and if you wanna slum, you can pond jump ducks.

I can show you some places in the easterly part of 33. Might not be able to hunt with you but can give you areas and maybe drive out with you. Deer and javi if you get that tag. Bring a shotgun too, dove and quail is open and if you wanna slum, you can pond jump ducks.

muledeerarea33? That would be awesome! DUCK hunting in AZ. That sounds really fun and a bit of time warp! I haven't puddle jumped since I was a kid.